 Robotics / RCX / 383
Re: OO programing in RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 14:40:17 GMT

Hi Dave,

On the RCX side, I wouldn't want true objects. I wouldn't want to fill up the
RCX variables with vtables and the program memory with the code to use the
vtables.

But on the PC side of things I'm beginning to think objects can be very useful.
Converting to objects has really made my library smaller, more efficient, and
the code much easier to understand. Again, I hope to have some examples on the
net in a few days, which will demonstrate these ideas.

How well these ideas whould port to NQC, I don't know. In VB there's PC-side
code and RCX code. The two are very different. I can create lots of things in
my code that only appear on the PC-side. This gives me a nice structure to work
with without putting the overhead onto the RCX. But if I were to make a guess,
I would guess that the same concept would work on NQC. The overhead of objects
could be limited to the PC side of things and standard bytecodes downloaded to
the RCX.

It's an interesting idea.

David Leeper (was glad to learn he could ship compiled NQC, if needed)

I toyed with a couple of ideas for this, but most of the really useful
things can't be done using the standard bytecodes.  About the only thing I
came up with was a way to wrap the standard API calls up into some
classes.  However, implementing this would be a lot of work for something
that in the end would still feel contrived.

Enforceable data encapsulation would also be nice, but again a lot of work
for only marginal return.  None of my programs are so complex that such
protection is essential.

Ironically, the NQC compiler itself is very OO.

Dave Baum

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com