 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 249
Re: TpForth Project ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 01:45:42 GMT

Ralph Hempel wrote:
I'm still trying to get unifying information for all platforms on my website
which would help the confusion a lot.

Forgive me for flogging a (probably) dead horse, but I still fail to see
what the problem here is.  There is a freely available ANSI C compiler
for most major systems today, including Mac, Windows, and most Unices.
Further, I know from a great deal of personal experience that writing
strict ANSI compliant C code is not nearly as difficult as some people
have claimed that it is... especially for something like
compiler-writing.

I may even resurrect my Tcl script
to do uploading since it works (I think) on Mac/Linux/Win boxes.

Just my 2 cents here, Ralph... but I'm not a big proponent of IDE's in
general... a command line based system would be plenty adequate, IMO.
That way, the compiler itself (which could be theoretically 100%
portable across all platforms) would be easily isolated from a (usually)
platform-dependant GUI.  Develop the IDE for those that want it, but why
postpone the release of a compiler because of it?   NQC seems to have
done quite well being command line based, after all (with
platform-dependant front ends, like rcxcc).

Mark