 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 390
Re: offtopicy sort of thing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 09:33:31 GMT

According to that elementary physics, you are converting power into heat as
part of this process. Usually, when downgearing an engine, the intention is
to have more power at the slower speed (for better climbing, lifting, etc.).
This will not be the case with the "motor-gear", because quite a bit of
power is lost in heat dissipation. Another reason to use downgearing is to
increase precision (for arms, end-effectors, etc.). Again, this will not
work well with the "motor-gear" because the coil in the first motor will
still release some electricity just after the motor has stopped. Off course,
you could tune this away with some effort.

So you are right that the "motor-gear" can be perfect to reduce the speed,
but be aware that it is different from normal gearing because it will not
increase the power the same way, and it will be less precise.

Sorry for straying further off topic.
Filip.

Joshua Foster <joshua_70448@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I think that's a really good idea.  I tried it, and found out that the • motor
recieving power spins slower than the motor you spin.  This is about 4:3. • This
could be a really good speed reduction technique that doesn't use gears, • or you
could power something using a crank that's geared up.  I don't think • that's
offtopic at all.

Joshua

Leonard Stiles wrote:

Ok, so it's nothing to do with nqc and not much to do with mindstorms, • but
here's a nice bit of elementary physics I came across while playing with • my
RIS:

Take two 9v dc lego motors like the ones you got with the RCX. Stick • something,
a wheel or a cog, on the axle of each motor. Something the motor can be • turned
with; it's best to gear up a bit so that you get a sufficiently high • speed on
the motor axle. Don't connect either motor to the RCX, and make sure the • wheels
on the separate motors aren't touching in any way, but interconnect • their
inputs with a lego wire thingy. Now turn one motor axle manually and • watch what
happens on the other.

Good eh?:-)

I 'll leave you to work out what's happening for yourselves..