 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 653
652  |  654
Subject:
InstallShield for legOS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 20:12:41 GMT

As mentioned by Markus, I am working on an Windows InstallShield program
for legOS.  It is my hope to create, with assistance, a complete
installation package for legOS and required tools.  Running the
installer will create a legOS developement environment with all the
necessary binaries and patches.  No more messing around with compiler
source code or patch files.  The install package will be lean and mean,
only the files needed to develope with legOS will be included.

About the only addition anyone should need would be a decent text
editor, unless they actually like Notepad, in which case they have more
serious problems that  may require heavy medication.

This is not a project I will be able to complete on my own.  I need
volunteers to help me with the following:

1. Create gcc/egcs binaries that run natively in a Windows DOS box (no
Cygwin requirement). I am new to the cross compiler and don't wish to
spend months delving into the internals to produce a port.  This is the
most difficult task. Any volunteers?

2. Determine exactly which gcc/egcs files are required for legOS
development and what can be removed (most libraries, the debugger,
etc.).  Should anyone wish the full package, they can always download
it.

3. A list of typical changes which must be made to the legOS source to
work under Windows. Once this information is known, I can create a Perl
script to automatically apply the changes to the original legOS source
or use a diff utility.

You may be wondering why I am striving for a Windows native version of
the compiler.  It is my belief that the majority of Windows based RCX
enthusiasts will be inexperienced with other operating systems, possibly
even new to programming.  Requiring the learning of a whole new
operating system (the Cygwin pseudo-Unix shell) is a considerable
barrier to learning legOS.

Rossz