 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 654
Re: InstallShield for legOS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 20:31:47 GMT

"Rossz Vámos-Wentworth" <rossw@jps.net> wrote in message
news:387CE039.2906B627@jps.net...
You may be wondering why I am striving for a Windows native version of
the compiler.  It is my belief that the majority of Windows based RCX
enthusiasts will be inexperienced with other operating systems, possibly
even new to programming.  Requiring the learning of a whole new
operating system (the Cygwin pseudo-Unix shell) is a considerable
barrier to learning legOS.

I think that you should still reconsider using Cygwin anyway.  You can
actually build much of the LegOS stuff without ever using the Cygwin shell,
so there isn't a huge learning curve there.  As an example go into your demo
directory and type "make clean all".  You'll see that it clean builds the
demos just fine.

The entire legOS would build from the native shell if the for loops in the
top level Makefile were changed.

Doing a native port of gcc/egcs is a huge task, and I think it would be
better to figure out how to repackage the minimal amount of cygwin necessary
to get the LegOS build system working.  The only issue would be cygwin
licensing.  I noticed yesterday that Cygwin seems to be commercial, and that
they're last beta is freely available.  I don't know if we could legally
repackage it as part of a LegOS installer to get things working on Windows.

alex