 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 364
Re: RcxCC and tabs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 19:12:16 GMT

"Mark Rendle" <rendle2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Fo5y6u.MuF@lugnet.com...
alex wetmore <alex@phred.org> wrote in message
news:947527538.496739@phred.org...
I am very impressed with RcxCC but it would be nice to have the option • to
spawn a 3rd party editor.  I am a vi-head (vile really) and I doubt that • the
stock RcxCC editor will ever have a vi mode.  I'm sure that there are • others
who are just as picky about their editors and feel the same way.

Surely if you're a vi-head you could use vi, and set up keyboard macros • for the
compile and download calls to NQC? Personally I always used to set vi up • with
the AutoIndent on, which is was RcxCC is doing anyway.

I can do that in vi (and that is what I did last time I played with my RCX
about a year ago), but RcxCC adds the cool monitoring features which make it
useful for debugging.  For the short NQC programs that I write the editor
would be fine without the frustrating tab weirdness.

The tabs on RcxCC aren't at all similar to auto-indent on vi.  On vi that
just means that when I press enter it spaces (or tabs) in enough characters
to line up with the start of the previous
line.  On RcxCC the tab key doesn't make any sense with auto-intent turned
on or off.  For instance grab http://www.phred.org/~alex/lego/wander.nqc.
Go to line 27 (this says Wait(100)).  Now remove the leading spaces.  Press
tab once and it goes three spaces.  Press it again and it goes 1 space.
What the hell is it doing?

I really just want a logical tab key, where I say "Tabs are 4 spaces wide"
and then when I press Tab once it goes to the next Tabstop, which are spaced
at 4 space intervals.

alex