 Robotics / RCX / *1555 (-100)
  Re: How advanced can RCX programming be?

(...) Depends how hard you want to work. With LegOS or pbForth, which replace the official firmware, you can program the hardware at the machine level, so you can do very advanced stuff. With NQC (or RoboLab) you're still limited by Lego's firmware, (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics)

  How advanced can RCX programming be?

I got my RIS a couple of weeks ago, and I have been building simple robots and programmed them using the program on the RIS cd. I´ve heard that you can program the RCX in very advanced ways, multitasking and so on. How advanced can it be? How do you (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: OO programing in RCX

Hi Mathew, There are no objects on the RCX, in the sense that there are no vtables on the RCX. I made no changes to spirit.ocx. But I definitely think of the RCX code in terms of objects now. There are "brain" objects, "map" objects, "identity" (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  RcxCC and tabs

I finally pulled out my RCX and Legos last night and played with them for the first time in almost a year. My quick project was to take apart my old adder/subtractor platform and rework it with a rotation sensor inline with the driving motor to act (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  TpForth Project ?

Ralph, You might want to check out the TPForth Developer Studio, a cross compiling Forth system for embedded apps. Seems to have a nice IDE (though not in Forth) that should be quickly adaptable to support pbForth. And it's free to non-commercial (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: OO programing in RCX

(...) I'm curious -- are you making it so you can think about your RCX program in OO terms, or just the VB program that sends opcodes? (25 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: (no longer Failed) Getting LegOS 0.2.2 working on Windows

Way to go Paolo! So the only thing that needs to be changed is replace my patch to loader.c with yours? I'll put that onto arthurdent. Glad that it's finally solved. Now, i'll try to get Martin's LNP stuff working on windows. Peter BTW A happy new (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: OO programing in RCX

Hi Eric, There always Visual Basic. I'm currently building a few ActiveX controls which sit on top of Spirit. So far its working nicely and is a big improvement over the non-class method of VB coding I used in my original prototype. David Leeper (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: OO programing in RCX

Hi Eric, there's a patch in the works to give legOS support for most of C++ - virtual functions and the lot. Markus. (25 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  OO programing in RCX

Hi folks, I am an OO guy. Is there any any OO programming tools in RCX. I know there are LegOS, NQC, and so on. I have been addictted to OO and Java for couple of years. Some guys are working in developing JVM for RCX. I am looking forward any good (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RF Connection To RCX

(...) Yep! I am going to make the RF/IR adapter plug in front of the RCX. And make my RF tower to replace the IR tower. I know the IR carries on 38.5KHz. Does it mean both transmt/receive signals working in the same 38.5KHz? If so, how can I solve (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: New Mindstorms Club!

(...) [snip] Joshua, Why then start another club if there is already an active one on Yahoo? Since I am an active member of that club, I can catagorically state that we aren't snobbish about _any_ robot platform, there are many there that would (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  RE: pbFORTH needs better uploading, docs

Ben Jackson wrote.. (...) And Mark Terrabain replied... (...) I'm reluctant to take pbForth there because the RCX already compiles bytecodes and SAVE-SYSTEM sends them back to the host in Srecord format. Writing and testing a bytecode compiler for (...) (25 years ago, 9-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  RE: pbFORTH needs better uploading, docs

Ben, Thanks for emailing and feeding back some important issues for the rest of the Mindstorms pbForth community. I'll always welcome comments and respond as quickly as possible... Let me address each point, sorry about the quoting, but it's needed (...) (25 years ago, 9-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: (Failed) Getting LegOS 0.2.2 working on Windows

(...) everything (...) Yahooo, again! Yep, your patch worked like a charm! I also got the AV error message, but recompiling the demo files again seemed to fix the problem. Go figure. Thanks for the help! -Jeff (25 years ago, 9-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: pbFORTH needs better uploading, docs

Well, I can rather agree on the uploading, but I don't find it quite as bad as you do. Not as good as NQC, but then NQC still has all the LEGO firmware limitations. As for the rest of your comments, I can only say that I managed to get the (...) (25 years ago, 9-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  New Mindstorms Club!

Hello all! I'm new to the RCX and NQC, but am finding it very easy, due to my knowledge of JavaScript. I looked in Yahoo! Clubs, and only found one decent-sized club that was still alive. I've made a new Mindstorms club, named Mindstorms Emporium. I (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC beta test release policy

(...) goals. In the (...) is to allow it (...) personally support. (...) Ok, what I meant is that open source beta (and other) releases improve the quality of the overall product. I don't think nqc has a stability problem. (...) entire release on my (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: pbFORTH needs better uploading, docs

(...) This, IMO, is the biggest problem with pbForth as it exists. Although I have no idea why, Ralph seems reluctant to take pbForth to that point at this time. (And it makes even less sense to me when I think about the idea that most of this (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  pbFORTH needs better uploading, docs

So I've just been crawling over some broken glass, ERR, I mean, uploading pbFORTH text files to the RCX! It's hard to tell the difference! At the least, pbFORTH needs to: 1) accept \n, \r, \n\r or \r\n all as it does a single \r now. 2) have a mode (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: NQC beta test release policy

I'm combining two replies in the thread into a single message... (...) I agree completely that philisophically a beta release of free software should also be free software. I have been cutting corners on this with NQC out of praticality. There is a (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: RF Connection To RCX

(...) If you take an COTS rf module, such as those from Siemens or Montorolo, or for example the bluetooth sample module, (though I used one from a cheap radio shack wireless phone) you'll find that the di and do have very similar voltages and (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: NQC beta test release policy

(...) Whew, I was beginning to sweat there. MacNQC is the only Macintosh based robotics microcontroller software out there (Except for PBForth, which I'm not sure but may need a PC to download it). All of my PIC, Scenix, AVR, 68HC11 and Parallax (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: RF Connection To RCX

Eric, this was the approach I was thinking of. This way all the 'regular' functions, software, RcxCC etc would continue to work. Limitations: Speed is the same.. Other approaches would require deep hacking, I believe. I envisioned two devices: 1. (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: NQC beta test release policy

oops.. a slight cock-up on my part means that this message is delivered in installments, read this one as a continuation of the one it is in reply to:-) About the source release being "tied to the linux release": Considering the fact that the linux (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC beta test release policy

First of all, I don't think there's anything wrong with not releasing binaries of a beta release, be it for linux or any other platform. Of course, if a large sector of the user base is on mac and windows and therefore cannot build their own (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC beta test release policy

(...) It ain't so.... I use a Mac almost exclusively myself, so Mac support for NQC is here to stay. The final releases of NQC would continue to include Mac (MPW tool), Win, and Linux versions. MacNQC would still be around (both beta tests and final (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC beta test release policy

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Dave Baum writes: [snip] (...) Dave! No, please don't eliminate the Mac! I love not being tied to a PC for my NQC work! Say it ain't so! DLC (25 years ago, 7-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC beta test release policy

(...) Illogical yes, but not without its reasons. The exclusion of linux and source from beta isn't really a result of any policy, but just to make things more convenient for me. Here's why... I don't have 24/7 access to a linux box, so making a (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: RF Connection To RCX

Hi! I also try to use RF to replace IR communication. My idea, to create a RF/IR two way adapter and to make an RF tower connected with PC. The adapter taped with RCX can receive RF signals from PC and pass to RCX by using IR emitter. And if RCX (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RF Connection To RCX

(...) (25 years ago, 7-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: NQC wishlist

(...) The inconguity was intentional. I was going to call it SetDisplay(), but then it seemed like: SetDisplay(1) should set the display to show the value 1. I felt that "select" did a better job conveying the fact that there are 7 different display (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  RF Connection To RCX

Hi I have found the IR in RCX limiting, especially because of its line of sight problem. I'm interested in developing an RF interface to RCX. Anybody has any experience, knowledge, suggestions, tips in this area? Any pointers would be greatly (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  dllx for liblnp+lnpd uploaded to arthurdent

Hello, i finally managed to get my old 486 back to live and build a little home network to test lnpd & liblnp in a networked environment. As expected ;-), it works perfectly -- with 2400 baud 8-(. Running with 4800 baud, i encountered some (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Java API for NQC

I am working for a hardware/software company in The Netherlands and we are in the process of organising a 'build the best robot using Mindstorms and Java' challenge. The idea is to judge people not only by the the robot they build but also by the (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: RCX onboard timer and motor pulsing

(...) For fun, with a second sensor you can make a gouvenor, which takes it speed from the track, and with a third motor you can change the gouvenor setting :-). It works reasonably with the ligth sensor as well. Then it is analog. But I found the (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains)

  Re: RcxCC Editor

Actually, additional to this, it seems to be caused by colouring of keywords. I've turned that off and the problem has gone away. -- Mark R www.markrendle.co.uk Mark Rendle <rendle2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Fnv5uJ.J2r@lugnet.com... (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: What should be in the next version of RcxCC

(...) Maybe this was already posted: the color coding doesn't work for multiline macros. (because of that, I thought for a while that they weren't even legal in NQC!) thanks /Vlad (25 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: RCX onboard timer and motor pulsing

A few (Hah!) years ago we used to get that realistic slow train speed by running our Lionel "O" gauge and American Flyer engines on DC. We used an AC Gilbert rectifier that was a full-wave selenium unit. By adding a switch we made it be only (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains)

  Re: RCX onboard timer and motor pulsing

(...) PWM stands for "pulse width modulation". The LEGO speed control changes voltage as you turn the knob. An RCX turns the motor on and off really fast but always supplies full voltage. So half speed is a 50% duty cycle of full power, rather than (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains)

  Emulating arrays in NQC

Hi all! as I promised earlier, I am posting the code I've written to emulate arrays. I tried to make it general, but it's difficult to do without compiler support. Right now it implements a 32 items array of 4 bit variables. It can be quite easily (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC wishlist

(...) I think 1 and 2 are the ones that would be really needed. 2 would be useful in writing macros to emulate arrays or "small" variables. But maybe there will be support for that in the compiler... cheers /Vlad (25 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: RCX onboard timer and motor pulsing

Hi Ben, I think I missed something here. What is "PWM mode"? What language are you programing in? And what is the "internals page"? Thanks so much for pursueing this! I did pick up the Unofficial Guideo to LEGO MS Robots by Jon Knudsen but only (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Problems with RCX Robolab and PowerMacs 6400/200 and 5500/225

Thanks for the reply, I really enjoyed your book. My son (age 13) also enjoyed it. He's starting out using ROBOLAB, but your book has sparked an interest in C (like) programming. I look forward to a sequel. (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  NQC beta test release policy

As this is my first post to this newsgroup, I thought I'd start by saying how wonderful I think nqc is etc. I got the RIS 1.5 for xmas and had nqc up and running in no time on my linux system. As well as being an excellent language and bytecode (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: RCX onboard timer and motor pulsing

(...) I was just experimenting with this a few days ago. An RCX using PWM does a far better job of driving the LEGO train motors than the simple variable voltage from the LEGO train control. You can make a train creep around just above stall speed (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains)

  Re: NQC wishlist

(...) That would still be handy. Just the other night I was readying some NQC for distribution and I had: #define FOO_SENSOR SENSOR_2 and what I wanted to do was (beyond the user configurable part): #define DISPLAY_FOO DISPLAY_ ## FOO_SENSOR so I (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC wishlist

Dave, So far, I've lived without ##, and I'm quite sure I can live without 4) and 5). And can't 3) be replaced in many cases by arithmetic? In my brief stint programming "lego assembler" for the Scout, (Assembler! I'm embarrassed to admit how far (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC wishlist

(...) I took a good look at the preprocessor code, and it shouldn't be too hard to implement ## aside from the problem of recovering original token text. Adding support for remembering the original token text is easy to do if you're willing to be a (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Problems with RCX Robolab and PowerMacs 6400/200 and 5500/225

Sigh.... ... . How the $%^&* will we ever get smart, interested, technical professionals to really make a difference in the schools when they run into this. THis. This...! Sigh... I am using RIS1.0 on 6 old 486 machines with WIN95. The school was (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: (no longer Failed) Getting LegOS 0.2.2 working on Windows

Salve Paolo, Yahoooo! It finally works. After applying the the patch file you sent me by e-mail, everything seems to work now. Thank you all for your great help. Ciao, Carsten (25 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: NQC wishlist

(...) If I were to implement it, I probably wouldn't add a second pass. The real obstacle at present is that the literal text for a token cannot always be recovered after it leaves the lexer. For example, '01' and '1' both leave the lexer as an (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: (Failed) Getting LegOS 0.2.2 working on Windows

(...) error (...) I think that it's the usual "\n" problem of *nix. (...) helloworld.lx (...) I will send the file in attach directly to your E-Mail address to check that all patches are in the right place. (...) I've just tried and it works... I (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  a problem of legOS-0.2.2 on Windows95

Hello. I have a problem of makefile. Perfectly I followed this instruction (URL) erased all tabs. But a result is following... BASH.EXE-2.02$ make --unix makefile:9: *** missing separator. Stop. Only this message is displayed. and line9 of (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Speed of RCX interpreting bytecodes: slow

(...) I'm pretty sure this is not the case. The interpreter constantly runs the "execute bytecode" function if it is sitting idle. -Kekoa (25 years ago, 5-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  legOS Praise, and small request :)

I've just got V0.2.2 working, after at least a year of not having had time to play with it! I just wanted to say WOW :) It's come a long way, and I can't wait to start tinkering with it again! Fantastic work Markus! The small request? I use com2 for (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: What should be in the next version of RcxCC

1: a default template file, so that standard includes and defines, a main task and other things that tend to be used in all programs can be added automatically from the New command. I realise I could just create one and then Open and Save As, but we (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  RcxCC Editor

First off, big thanks to DB for NQC, and MO for RcxCC. Both top products, and a major relief. Quick question though to Mark: I occasionally get corrupted text characters in the RcxCC editor window. The entire line that the cursor is on suddenly (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC wishlist

This works as a 1-based 16 element array of Boolean variables... // Boolean constants #define TRUE 1 #define FALSE 0 // Boolean storage - bye bye var 0 int bSys = 0; // Boolean array defines #define bool(i) ((bSys & (i^2)/2) == (i^2)/2) #define (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Program dlls

(...) there are 3 simple dll applications and a Makefile in the demo directory, which show how to compile a dll application. cheers, Martin (25 years ago, 5-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: NQC wishlist

(...) I believe the simplest way to do it would be to have an extra preprocessing pass... it will slow down compilation a little, it's true, but maybe not that much as to matter (compilation is anyway so much faster than the downloading anyway) then (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Speed of RCX interpreting bytecodes: slow

(...) Hmm. If so, an interesting option for a theoretical replacement-but- compatible firmware to have would be the ability to do things as fast as possible. (Of course, it'd have to be an option, since it's possible that some badly-designed code (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Speed of RCX interpreting bytecodes: slow

Its been a long time since I looked at the firmware in detail, but is it possible that the bytecode interpreter is driven from one of the timer chains? If this was the case, it wouldn't matter if the CPU could execute the bytecode in 200 cycles...it (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: NQC wishlist

(...) No, this sort of thing isn't covered in my book. There are several ways to send commands to the RCX. The first is the official SDK from TLG (spirit.ocx) which runs under Windows. The SDK contains a reasonable amount of documentation on the (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: (Failed) Getting LegOS 0.2.2 working on Windows

G'day, (...) When trying to apply the patch I get 3 rejects and a bad formated patch file error message. So I applied the patches by hand. Using your patches, I can compile everything without warning (good on yer!!!) and download legOS.srec as well (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: (Failed) Getting LegOS 0.2.2 working on Windows

I had the same problem. Under NT WS 4.0 and same instruction for LegOS 0.2.2. Now I've solved!!! I'm here to explain how. (...) Same problem. I've solved getting back the source to the original version (no more WINNT stuff). (...) I've read that you (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Speed of RCX interpreting bytecodes: slow

(...) From memory, the NQC was: int count; task main() { count = 0; CreateDatalog(100); ClearTimer(Timer(0)); while (count <= 1024) { if (count & 0xff == 0) AddToDatalog(Timer(0)); count += 1; } } The downloaded datalog will show the last log entry (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: NQC wishlist

(...) [Snip] (...) Okay. Is sending these commands (and which ones that are/can be "immediate") in your book? <G> While I don not have something in mind right this second, the more complex programs get the higher the possibility of someone using (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Speed of RCX interpreting bytecodes: slow

(...) What is in a "counter loop iteration" ? Please share the NQC program you used to measure this with us. I fail to believe that a simple loop runs this slow. 16000 cycles per loop iteration does not sound right to me. -Kekoa (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: NQC wishlist

(...) I'm not sure if the terminology from LEGO is "direct" or "immediate" commands, but either way the idea is that some of the bytecodes can be sent to the RCX and the RCX will execute them immediately. There's a lot of overlap between the direct (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Program dlls

Is there any documentation on how to use the new program dll feature with LegOS, or will I just find that apparent once I install LegOS and look at the source? Joel Shafer joel@connect.net (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: NQC wishlist

(...) I am kind of new to this, but what is meant by direct command? How would tasks downloaded in another slot be assessable to some other task to start up? --- DonC donc@cccd.edu (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  RE: NQC wishlist

(...) This might be a good idea. The pbForth thing is working out well too. Maybe a C to FORTH translator would be useful. In the other hand, making a custom bytecode interpreter means having to write the interpreter and support it on different (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC wish

Inline functions are by their very nature surpressed. Also, most control structures and calculations that can be evaluated at compile time are eliminated. I thought about surpressing tasks and subs, but then decided not to. The problem is that tasks (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC wishlist

(...) To me, one of the important features of such a thing would be compatibility with the existing firmware. Otherwise, why not just use LegOS? (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC wishlist

If anyone is seriously considering this I'd ask two things... 1) Have you considered porting the p-code interpreter used by Interactive C or something like a stripped down Java bytecode interpreter instead? The idea here would be that the RCX (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC wishlist

(...) Yeah, this was discussed way back at the beginning of the reverse-engineering effort. It's something I'd like to see too. (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC wishlist

I was jut wondering, has anybody tried to implement a "better RCX-code"? It must be possible to write something very similar to RCX-code in LegOS, only faster and implementing the "missing" array structures and more variables. Mayby compatible with (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  NQC wish

Hello, It would be great to have NCQ doing dead code suppression before downloading it to the RCX. Any function, task,... not referenced in the program should not be compiled and sent to the RCX. It would help to save memory and download time don't (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC wishlist

(...) Implementation of ## gets pretty nasty - at least within the current pre-processor design. I'll look at the C spec again, but I'm pretty sure ## forces a re-tokenization. In the current design of NQC, tokenization happens before (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC wishlist

(...) Great! (...) Vlad, that's funny. Immediately after seeing Dave's reply, I decided to make such macros myself. But I got disturbed and couldn't do it today anymore. Since you seem to have done it already, I'll just wait to see yours :-) (...) (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC wishlist

(...) I am sure more people than me are looking forward to that! About the "smaller" integer variables, I have put together a couple of macros that simulate an array of packed "small" integers, any bit size works, but power-of-2 sizes do not waste (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: What should be in the next version of RcxCC

(...) Thank you Mark for your great tool. Several things could improve Rcx CC. - An indentation of selected lines with Tab or Shift+Tab like in Visual C++ editor. When a lines are selected, Tab inserts tabs at the beginning of the lines, and (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: USB->Serial Converts and IR Tower

Is that on a PC? I have one running with the latest drivers from their site. It works fine for small snippets of code, but always times out, when trying to download larger segments or firmware. What exact driver version do you have. What exact (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Problems with RCX Robolab and PowerMacs 6400/200 and 5500/225

(...) This one works for me just fine. Dw (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: LNP goes Internet

No problem, Martin. Hope everyone enjoys this, and keeps in mind my offer of webspace for legOS-related projects. I look forward to testing out the code once I get back to school, and hope development continues apace. -Luis (...) ###...### Profanity (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LNP goes Internet

Just read my mail, and because there was a question where to find the stuff i looked at arthurdent, and -- Phantastic, Luis has managed to put everything in place. You will find it at: (URL) thanks, Luis ! I´ll now walk down into my dark and dirty (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: NQC wishlist

A switch statment will be added pretty soon. The variable stuff is on hold for the moment. I'm holding off on the booleans until I work out a better strategy for variable allocation and code generation in general. Dave (...) for X-mas), (...) nested (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC wishlist

(...) Hi Dave, I'm using your wonderful tool since just a week now (bought my first RIS for X-mas), and I am already seriously running out of variables ... :-) So, I think your idea of variable types of less than 16 bits such as booles and shorts is (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: What should be in the next version of RcxCC

(...) Oops, that's right. I completely overlooked this. Thanks for the hint. So, my previous suggestion is quite pointless. Please ignore it. Sorry. Uwe (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Problems with legOS-0.2.2 on Windows 95

Hi again, The previous problems have been fixed by cleaning up the Makfiles from unnecessary Tabs and DOS file endings. And I also forgot to put the period in the end of the CINC line in Makefile.common. Thanks to Philip Brown and Larry Charlton. (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RCX "locking up" when trying to use dll

(...) i experienced exactly the same behaviour when i tried to use gcc-2.95.2 as cross-compiler. If that's the compiler you're using: switch to egcs-1.1.2 Another circumstance under which this will happen: You compiled the binary against another (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Speed of RCX interpreting bytecodes: slow

(...) half (...) Yes, it seems to switch between two 'modes', one being effectively single tasking, and the other multi-tasking. This gives the change you are seeing. The 'loop' time, can be measured very easily with a scope, by setting a motor (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Problems with RCX Robolab and PowerMacs 6400/200 and 5500/225

Hello to all, Thanks for all those who wrote in with suggestions for how to get my RCX bricks to work with the PowerMac 5500s that I was having trouble with. Here's a summary of my experiences and how I eventually got enough working machine to teach (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

You can also choose "show code/error listing" under the compile menu to get the variable assignments. Mike Uwe Denzer <Uwe.Denzer@munich.netsurf.de> wrote in message news:386F928E.984386...surf.de... (...) like to (...) up in (...) and I'd (...) (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Problems with RCX Robolab and PowerMacs 6400/200 and 5500/225

I believe Fred Martin ran into similar problems and the serial extension did indeed help. I think his write-up of the issue is somewhere on his site: (URL) Baum (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  LNP goes Internet

Hello, i just uploaded some stuff to Luis Villa´s machine, that might be usefull for LNP networkers. Here is an excerpt of the README: Hi there, this is my first version of liblnp and lnpd. WHAT´S IN THE BOX: lnpd: A LinuX daemon that allows (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Problems with RCX Robolab and PowerMacs 6400/200 and 5500/225

I had a similar problem and suggested used the three cable method you mentioned with great success. Before I tried this I sent an inquiry to Dacta and got this response "There is an issue with some Macintosh serial ports that we are currently (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Speed of RCX interpreting bytecodes: slow

(...) Are you sure you mean each of the POSSIBLE threads? I did test to see whether it was slower to count to 1000 with another task running, and it was. Not half as fast, only about 30% slower. --Ben (25 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Thought on pbForth

(...) Neither am I... but the fact is that it's not 20 years ago. My attitude is why use computers as if we are? (btw, I was programming back then... and I must confess that there are a few things I miss about programming in that era [most notably, (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact