 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 321
Re: NQC wishlist
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 20:07:06 GMT

A switch statment will be added pretty soon.  The variable stuff is on
hold for the moment.  I'm holding off on the booleans until I work out a
better strategy for variable allocation and code generation in general.

Dave

In article <3870EBEA.87B46DAC@munich.netsurf.de>, Uwe Denzer
<Uwe.Denzer@munich.netsurf.de> wrote:

Dave Baum wrote:

But there could still be a couple "smaller" types.  Right now an int is 16
bits.  Perhaps a char could be 8 bits, and a bool (borrowed from C++) is 1
bit.  These would then get packed into as many 16 bit variables as
needed.  I like this idea - especially the notion of bool - since there
are many cases where 16 bits is overkill.  I tend to have lots of boolean
flags in my code.

Hi Dave,

I'm using your wonderful tool since just a week now (bought my first RIS • for X-mas),
and I am already seriously running out of variables ... :-)

So, I think your idea of variable types of less than 16 bits such as booles and
shorts is *really great*.

And, another wish: somehow, I always feel uncomfortable using these big • nested "if
... else if ... else if ... else if ... else..." monsters. (I tend to get • lost which
else belongs to which if, and so on.) This might be too much of an • idiosyncrasy, but
I really would appreciate a "switch" statement!

Again, thanks a lot for your good stuff.

Uwe

P.S.: Of course, I bought your book.:-) I owned it before the RIS set...

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com