 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 320
Re: NQC wishlist
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 18:35:22 GMT

Dave Baum wrote:

But there could still be a couple "smaller" types.  Right now an int is 16
bits.  Perhaps a char could be 8 bits, and a bool (borrowed from C++) is 1
bit.  These would then get packed into as many 16 bit variables as
needed.  I like this idea - especially the notion of bool - since there
are many cases where 16 bits is overkill.  I tend to have lots of boolean
flags in my code.

Hi Dave,

I'm using your wonderful tool since just a week now (bought my first RIS for X-mas),
and I am already seriously running out of variables ... :-)

So, I think your idea of variable types of less than 16 bits such as booles and
shorts is *really great*.

And, another wish: somehow, I always feel uncomfortable using these big nested "if
... else if ... else if ... else if ... else..." monsters. (I tend to get lost which
else belongs to which if, and so on.) This might be too much of an idiosyncrasy, but
I really would appreciate a "switch" statement!

Again, thanks a lot for your good stuff.

Uwe

P.S.: Of course, I bought your book.:-) I owned it before the RIS set...