 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 244
Re: NQC wishlist
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 00:53:33 GMT

In article <FLLC2F.EtI@lugnet.com>, "Vlad Dumitrescu"
<vladdu@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

I am not sure if there is such a wishlist... I remember there was a "call for
wishes" for RxCC...

The biggest problem with the standard firmware is the small amount of
variables. Since not every use of a variable will use all 16 bits, I think it
would be neat to include in the language a way to specify how many bits to be
used for a variable, and automatically handle all bit allocations and
operations. Right now it is rather tedious to use lots of macros and keep track
of which bit means what... I think many people will appreciate this.

I'm not really comfortable with variable-length bit allocations since this
isn't something that happens in C outside of structs.

But there could still be a couple "smaller" types.  Right now an int is 16
bits.  Perhaps a char could be 8 bits, and a bool (borrowed from C++) is 1
bit.  These would then get packed into as many 16 bit variables as
needed.  I like this idea - especially the notion of bool - since there
are many cases where 16 bits is overkill.  I tend to have lots of boolean
flags in my code.

Another thing to do might be introducing arrays - it's a similar handling, only
in the other direction ;-)

There is no bytecode level support for indirect addressing, therefore I
could support something like this:

int foo[2];

foo[0] = 7;
foo[1] = foo[0] + 3;

But I couldn't support this:

int foo[2];
int x;

foo[x] = 1;

Since the later is really the whole point of arrays, I'm not sure how much
value there would be in simply glomming a lot of ints together and always
needed to access them via a compile-time constant index.

Dave Baum

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com