 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 243
RE: pbFORTH needs better uploading, docs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 04:06:09 GMT

Ben Jackson wrote..

Preferably it should have some kind of fast binary upload.

And Mark Terrabain replied...

This, IMO, is the biggest problem with pbForth as it exists.  Although I
have no idea why, Ralph seems reluctant to take pbForth to that point at
this time.  (And it makes even less sense to me when I think about the
idea that most of this should involve no more than some software
"crippling", rather than actual design changes... or am I missing
something?)

I'm reluctant to take pbForth there because the RCX already compiles
bytecodes and SAVE-SYSTEM sends them back to the host in Srecord format.

Writing and testing a bytecode compiler for the three major platforms
is a lot of work (just ask Dave Baum)

Many of the problems with pbForth that you mentioned elsewhere in your
post arise from the fact that pbForth is not very well documented.  I
don't think you'll get any argument from anybody on that one, but
consider that pbForth is still tagged as a work in progress.
Furthermore, the author does openly admit that there is not much in the
way of documentation.  This much alone should say, loud and clear,
"Caveat emptor".  (sp??)

I'll get going on more info for the FAQ. Now that I have more feedback
that's an easier job....

As far as more documentation goes, there are pointers on my site to decent
Forth tutorials. I just don't have the time right now to do a better
job than Tim Hendlass or other Forthers that have done it already...

I WILL document the RCX specific words better.

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

A picture is worth a thousand words, but very few
sets of a thousand words can be adequately described
by a picture...
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com