 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 240
Re: pbFORTH needs better uploading, docs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 17:50:57 GMT

Ben Jackson wrote:

So I've just been crawling over some broken glass, ERR, I mean, uploading
pbFORTH text files to the RCX!  It's hard to tell the difference!  At the
least, pbFORTH needs to:

1) accept \n, \r, \n\r or \r\n all as it does a single \r now.

2) have a mode to make it shut up during uploading.  the errors are going to be
lost anyway, and talking back just forces the terminal program to wait for long
enough for the longest possible error to be printed so that the IR from the RCX
doesn't clobber the next line.

Preferably it should have some kind of fast binary upload.

This, IMO, is the biggest problem with pbForth as it exists.  Although I
have no idea why, Ralph seems reluctant to take pbForth to that point at
this time.  (And it makes even less sense to me when I think about the
idea that most of this should involve no more than some software
"crippling", rather than actual design changes... or am I missing
something?)

Many of the problems with pbForth that you mentioned elsewhere in your
post arise from the fact that pbForth is not very well documented.  I
don't think you'll get any argument from anybody on that one, but
consider that pbForth is still tagged as a work in progress.
Furthermore, the author does openly admit that there is not much in the
way of documentation.  This much alone should say, loud and clear,
"Caveat emptor".  (sp??)

(just my two cents)

Mark