 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 253
RE: pbFORTH needs better uploading, docs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 03:47:11 GMT

David Chen wrote...

Ralph,

Many of us out here REALLY DO appreciate the work that has gone
into PBForth. • <snip>
The result is that you can do some pretty
amazing programming feats without the 500MHz and Megs of ram and stuff.

That, is pretty dammed trick if you ask me.

Hallelujah! Another convert to the dark side....

At some point, if you step away from the tools used to create a program
and embrace the PROCESS, you can see how elegant the process becomes.

David, (and others) thanks for the support over the past year in
my efforts with pbForth. It is really fun bringing a little
language back to the mainstream after many years of being in
the shadow of OOP, C++, and all the other "magic bullets" in the
software engineering world. Oh, and Forth is not a magic bullet
either - it's just a different way of thinking about a problem, and
that is what (in my opinion anyways) distinguishes between a good
progammer and an outstanding one.

No, I'm not saying all Forth programmers (or even just me) are outstanding,
I'm just saying that an ability to think in different mindspaces can
only help your problem solving ability. This is the core of what Seymour
Papert and others were trying to get at when they introduced the idea of
computers in classrooms years ago. It's not about learning to do things
ON the computer, it's about doing them WITH the computer.

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com