 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 356
Re: NQC beta test release policy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 18:50:09 GMT

oops.. a slight cock-up on my part means that this message is delivered in
installments, read this one as a continuation of the one it is in reply to:-)

About the source release being "tied to the linux release":
Considering the
fact that the linux binaries are built from the source, isn't it more the
case that the linux release is tied to the source release, rather than vice
versa? I can understand that building linux binaries is additional work which
is not really necessary for a beta, but I see no reason not to release
source.
Of course, makefiles etc. need to be updated for the unix/linux final
release, but with the help of the source, others, who have permanent access
to unix systems (such as myself), could get involved with this.
(another
extension would be adding autoconf/automake support to the source, which
would make porting easier).
In other words, the source of beta releases
doesn't need to be cleaned up, just give us what you've got and we'll do our
best to get it to compile on different platforms by modifying the makefile
etc. Beta testers could then send any such enhancements back to you, thus
speeding up the development cycle (and taking work off your hands). Beta
source releases need not mean more work for you, in fact, they could mean
less work in the long run. I would be happy to get involved by hacking the
makefiles (and possibly getting to work on adding autoconf support) or
supplying linux binaries for people to test.

I hope I have been successful
in making my position on this subject clear, I wish you the best of luck for
the forthcoming release.

--
Leonard Stiles
email: lstiles@hotpop.com