 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 359
Re: NQC beta test release policy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 23:05:17 GMT

On Saturday, January  8, 2000  5:52 AM, dbaum@spambgoneenteract.com (Dave
Baum) wrote:
The Free Software model can be used to acheive different • goals.  In the
case of NQC, the goal is not to make NQC more stable - it • is to allow it
to spread to more people and platforms than I could • personally support.
NQC's stability comes from other practices.

Ok,
what I meant is that open source beta (and other) releases improve the
quality of
the overall product. I don't think nqc has a stability problem.

From my end, if I ditched the Linux/x86 executable, then I could do the

entire release on my Mac (including a verification of the Unix source

using LinuxPPC).  Would this be a good trade to make...adding source

releases for beta, but dropping linux binary releases entirely?

If there • was huge demand for a Linux binary, I suspect there would be
other users • willing to build and post it.  One user has already sent me a
spec for an • NQC RPM, but I haven't had time to work with it.  This is the
sort of • thing I'd love to have someone else take over since I'm not much
of a
Linux user myself.

As the majority of linux and other unix users have the
facilities to build their own binaries from source, the need for linux
binaries is probably reduced compared to the windows/mac versions.

I'd be
willing to lend a hand by building linux binaries and/or an RPM if that would
help.

--
Leonard Stiles
email: lstiles@hotpop.com