 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 352
Re: NQC beta test release policy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 04:03:47 GMT

In article <38749E2F.789B75D6@hotpop.com>, Leonard Stiles
<lstiles@hotpop.com> wrote:

In the light of this fact I find it somewhat illogical that the NQC 2.1
beta test is a closed source binaries-only release. Not only does it
exclude those unable to run mac/win32 binaries, but it also makes the
bugfix process more difficult.

I would be interested to hear thoughts on this.

Illogical yes, but not without its reasons.

The exclusion of linux and source from beta isn't really a result of any
policy, but just to make things more convenient for me.  Here's why...

I don't have 24/7 access to a linux box, so making a linux release usually
delays things a couple of days until I can get a chance to do the build.
Early on, beta releases came out pretty fast and were short lived so
adding even a couple of days of delay to the beta release process seemed
counter-productive.

For various reasons the source release is tied to the linux release:

* The source release requires the Makefile to be updated and verified -
this only happens on the linux build since mac/win use a CodeWarrior
project file.

* The source release takes several steps - including building default
versions of the parser files, etc.  All of this is automated by some
scripts and Makefiles I have running under Linux.  I'm sure I could
automate it under mac or win as well, but if it ain't broke...

* Most 'porting' of NQC takes the form of moving the Linux release to
another Unix or Unix-like platform.  This is why the source release is
made as a .tar.gz file rather than a .zip or .sit file.  Its just one more
reason to tie the linux and source releases together from a process
standpoint.

Overall this means there's a non-trivial 'cost' associated with including
linux and/or source releases in the beta.

As for excluding the non mac/win users from the beta, historically I never
felt this was too big a deal.  In the NQC demographic, windows users by
far outnumber all other platforms combined.  I've only continued to
release mac as beta since I build it anyway for my own regression tests
(which are done on a mac).  In fact, I've even been considering
eliminating the mac beta.

In theory, not releasing source would make bug fixes harder.  However,
historically there's not much evidence to suggest a beta source release
would matter.  To my recollection no bug has been found during a beta test
period (not counting features which were known up front to be only
partially implemented at beta, etc).  There have only been a handful of
actual bugs in NQC itself (in over a year and something like 5 point
releases).  In short, the beta test doesn't really shake out many bugs -
its really more of a safety net and allows me to sometimes get new
features (such as the 4x download) tested on different hardware before
releasing.

There also hasn't been a lot of external contribution on bug fixes.  This
is by no means a complaint - the documentation in the NQC source is
extermely sparse.  If I hadn't written it myself, I'd never try fixing
bugs in it.  Bugs have been rare enough, and easy enough to reproduce so
far that there really isn't a need for other people to spend time helping
me debug it.

The area of greatest contribution so far has been getting NQC ported to
other platforms.  This has lead to a more portable implementation of
PSerial_unix.cpp, and in general has helped the Makefile evolve a bit.  I
don't think beta source releases would impact these porting efforts one
way or another.

As a final note, this latest beta has been running a lot longer than
previous ones, and that perhaps is causing some linux users to be
anxious.  The reason its running so long is that around the holidays I was
too busy to do anything with NQC, and lately I've been cramming more
features into it (such as a 'switch' statement).  Hopefully, things will
return pretty soon to a much shorter beta cycle and people won't have to
wait so long for linux and source releases.

Dave Baum

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com