 Robotics / RCX / 338
Re: Speed of RCX interpreting bytecodes: slow
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 09:49:45 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Ben Jackson writes:
In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Roger Hamlett writes:
In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Ben Jackson writes:
While working on the barcode scanner I decided to see just how fast the RCX

It is important to realise, that the RCX, does not perhaps do the
interpretation in the way you think. In each 'loop', it executes one
instruction from each of the possible threads,

Are you sure you mean each of the POSSIBLE threads?  I did test to see whether
it was slower to count to 1000 with another task running, and it was.  Not • half
as fast, only about 30% slower.
Yes, it seems to switch between two 'modes', one being effectively single
tasking, and the other multi-tasking. This gives the change you are seeing.
The 'loop' time, can be measured very easily with a scope, by setting a motor
output to the lowest forward speed, and measuring the pulse width generated.