 Robotics / RCX / 330
RE: Speed of RCX interpreting bytecodes: slow
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 21:54:58 GMT

While working on the barcode scanner I decided to see just how fast the RCX
could loop.  A simple NQC program can do about 1000 counter loop iterations in
about 100 ticks, or 1 iteration/ms.  This is shockingly slow.  The native
H8/329 is clocked at 16Mhz and claims to do simple adds in 2 clocks...

This is causing me to seriously consider legOS for the first time...

Check out pbForth too! I will get around to doing some basic loop
timing if you ask me nicely and tell me what kinds of test would
be useful to do!

pbForth is ready to run right out of the box, there is no compiler to
mess with, and it's fun and interactive...

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com