 Robotics / RCX / 361
Re: RCX onboard timer and motor pulsing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 20:44:07 GMT

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Ben Jackson wrote:

I was just experimenting with this a few days ago.  An RCX using PWM does a far
better job of driving the LEGO train motors than the simple variable voltage
from the LEGO train control.  You can make a train creep around just above
stall speed consistently, even through curves which would stop the train with
the train controller at the lowest setting.

For fun, with a second sensor you can make a gouvenor, which takes it
speed from the track, and with a third motor you can change the gouvenor
setting :-). It works reasonably with the ligth sensor as well. Then it is
analog. But I found the curve very S shaped; i.e. little on the slow end.

Simply pointing the light sensor down (and geting a regular signal from
the beams in the track) works too, though for me the train goes funny when
it hits a switch in the track.

If I remember the Internals page correctly, the PWM tables are stored in the
FW, so they could be altered to a profile more appropriate for trains if the
current settings are unsatisfactory...

Dw