 Robotics / RCX / 366
Re: RF Connection To RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 13:39:38 GMT

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Eric Huang wrote:

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Sitaram Ranganatha writes:

I have found the IR in RCX limiting, especially because of its line of sight
problem. I'm interested in developing an RF interface to RCX. Anybody has any
experience, knowledge, suggestions, tips in this area? Any pointers would be
greatly appreciated.

If you take an COTS rf module, such as those from Siemens or Montorolo, or
for example the bluetooth sample module, (though I used one from a cheap
radio shack wireless phone) you'll find that the di and do have very
similar voltages and ranges as go in/out of the irda module on the RCX.
For me it seems to work just fine, but the speeds are of course just as
limited. Long downloads often fail; and I think that this is because I
need a better decoupling circuit, or to remove the two buffer capicitors
from the RCX board. But doing so would damage the board in such a way I
cannot put back the IR unit, and I am not ready to try this yet. Of course
you need an extra 4.8 volt for them; and they suck power quickly.

Dw