 Robotics / 7097
Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 17:04:56 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Soh Chio Siong writes:
Hi, all pneumatics fans,

For some time I've been trying to figure out how to objectively compare
the performance of the various air compressor designs especially the
ones using the large pneumatic hand pump which seem to be coming into
fashion lately.

After much thought and several failed attempts, I've come up with an RCX
Controlled Air Compressor Tester. The details and test results on a
number of the commonly air compressor designs are presented at:

http://web.singnet.com.sg/~cssoh/actest.htm

I believe there is need for a re-think on air compressor designs.

Your friendly critique and comments are most welcome.
--
C S Soh

http://web.singnet.com.sg/~cssoh
... where air is power
Hi Chio
   Thats a pretty interesting design. Nice work!

http://tns.utk.edu/~trees/compressor/compressor.html

Here is a link to some pictures of the two stage compressor I built. Hopefully
there are enough details shown to reconstruct it but if you have any questions
let me know. The actual compressor assembly is fairly compact and a drive line
could be designed in other ways but I wanted to have the motor and compressor
in a compact unit to insert into various models. After seeing your test
results, I added the extra gear ratio to increase the pump speed. Using the
belts allows the drive to slip when maximum pressure is reached. The chain
drive will only operate smoothly when the motor is turning clockwise.
well, let me know what you think : )
   John