 Robotics / 7098
Re: What about the Micro Scout?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 17:27:17 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (The WordMeister) writes:
Robert Munafo wrote:
I simply bought two DDK sets. You have to do that anyway if you want
the dome to turn. [...]

Hmmm. For $200, I'd much rather have a second MindStorms RIS kit
{salivating} than two DDKs, even as a lifelong R2 fan.

Yeah, I know... I'm a little strange when it comes to R2-D2. Back in 1977 I was
in junior high school, and I decided I was going to build an R2-D2 about 12
inches high with radio remote control. Of course, I never built one, the
furthest I got was sort of a metal car with wheels driven by a motor. It didn't
even have remote control. I didn't know nearly enough about electronics to
figure out how to modulate and demodulate the control signals through my
walkie-talkies, and even less about the mechanical skills I would have needed
to make R2's dome turn, etc.

So, naturally when I saw the DDK I knew I had to get it. It sort of closes an
unfilled part of my life that has been hanging around for over 20 years. I buy
the DDK, build my R2-D2 and then I can get on with my life. I actually did feel
a deep, distant sense of resolution after I built it.

Like I said, I'm a little strange when it comes to R2-D2.

- Robert Munafo                           http://www.mrob.com/
  LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13