 Robotics / 7082
Re: What about the Micro Scout?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 21:36:04 GMT

Hmmm. For $200, I'd much rather have a second MindStorms RIS kit
{salivating} than two DDKs, even as a lifelong R2 fan.

I did see one ad from Lego (I think in the _Lego Mania+ magazine of two
issues ago) that showed the DDK R2 unit with the [yellow] RCX in place of
the Micro Scout, but 7 built-in programs can't be enough. The Robotics
Discovery Set _seems_ to be a pretty good deal, and provides a lot of
flexibility without requiring a computer.

--Doug "Yes, I Do Have an Opinion About Everything" Wilcox

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Munafo <munafo@gcctechNO.SPAMcom>
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Date: Tuesday, September 28, 1999 5:08 PM
Subject: Re: What about the Micro Scout?

In lugnet.robotics, Dennis Clark writes:
[...]  I am really bummed that you only get
HALF of the R2D2 Dome!  Half!  What on Earth are they thinking at LEGO?! • It
does look pretty good from the front, but at any other angle it looks • kinda
twisted.

I simply bought two DDK sets. You have to do that anyway if you want the • dome
to turn. The blue turntable piece works very well for making the dome turn, • by
the way. You can also run an axle through the middle to attach the motor • that
makes the dome turn. The other extra DDK pieces are useful for filling in • the
rest of the body "plating". Unfortunately the Micro Scout doesn't fit • inside
the head, otherwise it would be a great way to make the head turn • autonomously.

- Robert Munafo                           http://www.mrob.com/
LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13