 Robotics / 7285
Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 11:39:28 GMT

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Antony Furneaux wrote:

I have some of the original pneumatic cylinders with only one inlet.
They have been used for various non Lego uses. While coming back from
the dark ages, I have discovered that all three still work once they
have been pumped once by had. They can stick a bit at first use. This
includes the cylinder with blackened edges which had been used as a
flame thrower. This means the petrol/gasoline hasn't done to much harm
to the seals. The others definitely got used with water and those still
work OK too. However the 2-way value 2x4 brick with the three inlets has
completely given up.

But do you reckon the seals are the same? They may use different material
now...

BTW, does anyone have any good uses for the old cylinders? They are pretty
feeble when pulling (ie relying on "vacuum"), and seem (IMO) to be less
well-built than the newer ones.

The old hand-pumps seem to be acceptable as cheap alternatives to the
current ones, so long as you put a 2-way valve on them. (Assuming you
still have a working one... ;-) )

Stuart