 Robotics / 7118
Re: Compressors, Valves, and Other Wishes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 06:37:46 GMT

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Ian Sinclair wrote:

The best solution I've seen is Linc's micro motor controlled valve at:

Hmm, it seems to have moved again...  now at:

http://www.members.home.net/ourcreations/linc/linc02.html

I have built this valve control, but find the action between the gear
and worm gear less than ideal because of the stresses causes by the
very stiff valves.

Agreed.  I just built it too, and had problems with the micromotor
shutting off and refusing to start again, even in the other direction.
I also noticed that the center of the 24t gear isn't lined up with the
pivot point of the valve, which leads to the arm twisting a bit and moving
in a few big jerks.  I guess my valves are a bit stiffer than Linc's!

So I modified the design a bit, and added a touch switch to sense the
center position.  I also added a support on the end of the axle with the
24t gear, to make it a bit more solid.  The result is a stud thicker than
Linc's design, so he still wins the "most compact" prize.  :)

There are a bunch of photos of the new valve on my web page, including
building instructions.  There is also a new rotor for the 8444 helicopter.
Hey, I quit my job on Monday so I've got time to burn, okay?

- Ben.

P.S.  Linc, thanks for a cool design!

Ben Williamson       benw@pobox.com     http://www.pobox.com/~benw/