 Robotics / 7105
7104  |  7106
Subject:
Compressors, Valves, and Other Wishes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 20:35:54 GMT

I really wish there was a way to control pneumatics with Mindstorms....

Yes, this is still a difficult problem.

The best solution I've seen is Linc's micro motor controlled valve at:

Hmm, it seems to have moved again...  now at:

http://www.members.home.net/ourcreations/linc/linc02.html

I have built this valve control, but find the action between the gear
and worm gear less than ideal because of the stresses causes by the
very stiff valves.

LEGO could do us robot builders a huge favor if they designed another
valve (rotary type possibly) that could be easily controlled by a
micro-motor, or a valve/motor integration of some kind.

Give me proportional compact lego servos as well and I'd be a really
happy guy.

And while we're at it, I just finished my first stage attempt to
motorize/RCX control the new Super Car.

I used two motors for the drive train and one for the steering.  I am
less than impressed with the car's speed and capabilities.

I think I'll be modifying it to accommodate four drive motors with
their own power supply, controlled by a single micro-motor electrical
switch attached to the RCX.

I have been thinking hard about ways to shift the transmission.  This
will prove most difficult, but interesting...  We'll see.

We need rechargeable battery packs and high performance motors.

We could also use more robust LEGO gears and axles with less slop.

Yes, it would still be LEGO, just a great deal better for mobile
constructions, mechanical devices and robots.

<ICS>