 Robotics / 7047
    RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Soh Chio Siong
   Hi, all pneumatics fans, For some time I've been trying to figure out how to objectively compare the performance of the various air compressor designs especially the ones using the large pneumatic hand pump which seem to be coming into fashion (...) (25 years ago, 28-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Larry Pieniazek
     Wow. Did you do that for a paper or thesis? Very worthy research with a surprising outcome. I am sure most of us would surmise that the big sprung cylinder would give more efficacious designs because the displacement would be larger. This site (...) (25 years ago, 28-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.technic)

         Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Larry Pieniazek
      (...) Er, <wipes egg off face> never mind. They're on the next page. Missed that the first time. However the Limit switch reference probably should be changed. I merely hosted the diagram that I was mailed, and I cannot take credit for coming up (...) (25 years ago, 28-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.technic)

         Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Soh Chio Siong
     (...) Thanks for the nice comments and suggestions. As a matter of fact, I'm working towards a doctorate in Legorobotology, majoring in Pneumatics (what else) from the University of Legoland, if not MIT :-)) -- C S Soh (URL) where air is power (25 years ago, 28-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.technic)

        Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —John Matthews
     Thanks for the great comparison between compressors! I have been wondering which one was actually the best. Now to make a better one! One question though, what is the set number for the Advanced Pneumatics Set? Great Work! John Matthews C S Soh (...) (25 years ago, 28-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Soh Chio Siong
     (...) Thanks, The Advanced Pneumatics Set is Lego DACTA #9633. It's a great set to start pneumatics although its considered a bit expensive. It's pictured at my page on: (URL) S Soh (URL) where air is power (25 years ago, 28-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Ensio Tammi
     Nice work! For a while it looks that you could travel back in time using this recording device, before you realize that the pen draws an arc when the paper doesn't move ;-). Could it be possible to add a rotational sensor and datalog the time and (...) (25 years ago, 28-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Soh Chio Siong
     (...) Thanks, Indeed, my first attempt was to use a rotational sensor positioned with the axle at the pivot point of the lever arm and tried to datalog the angular movement using DACTA Control Lab. However, the resolution of the rotation sensor (...) (25 years ago, 28-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Johannes Keukelaar
     (...) <snipsnip> (...) <snipsnip> (...) That seems easily solved with some extra gears, or am I missing something? I mean, you could amplify the rotation of the axle by five (or three, or two) any number of times until the rotation sensor does pick (...) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Soh Chio Siong
     (...) Thanks, It could possibly be done but I've not tried it. It would have made the air compressor tester more complicated than necessary. As you can see I'm really a minimalist. One of the design goals was to keep it simple yet fully functional. (...) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         RE: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Ralph Hempel
      The page on compressor comparisons is really informative. I'm honoured that you felt my design was worthy of testing. The reason I made it a two stroker was to "balance" the load on the driving system. Michael Powell's compressor tends to "lump" (...) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

          Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Ian Sinclair
       Hello Ralph... I have built your original compressor from the photos you provide. I really like its form, rigidity and functionality. A great design. I plan to modify mine tonight into a full stroke design as some have suggested. All you need do is (...) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build)

           RE: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Ralph Hempel
        (...) Gee, thanks! (...) Let me know how this works out. Strangely enough, I have never actually used the pump do do anything other than test my limit switch. Here's where I whine and complain about having a good, paying job and a house, and wife, (...) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build)

            Compressors, Valves, and Other Wishes —Ian Sinclair
         (...) Yes, this is still a difficult problem. The best solution I've seen is Linc's micro motor controlled valve at: Hmm, it seems to have moved again... now at: (URL) have built this valve control, but find the action between the gear and worm gear (...) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build)

             Re: Compressors, Valves, and Other Wishes —Ben Williamson
         (...) Agreed. I just built it too, and had problems with the micromotor shutting off and refusing to start again, even in the other direction. I also noticed that the center of the 24t gear isn't lined up with the pivot point of the valve, which (...) (25 years ago, 4-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

             Re: Compressors, Valves, and Other Wishes —Ian Sinclair
         (...) Excellent Ben, I'll check those out... Off topic, but... Have you people seen the satire/black comedy American Beauty yet? I highly recommend it. Ben, perhaps Kevin Spacey's character inspired you to quit your job and lead a fuller life to (...) (25 years ago, 30-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

            Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Chris Phillips
        (...) Actually, I've been thinking about this for awhile, and I think there's an "easy" way to switch pneumatics under motor control. The rubber air hoses can be pinched shut with a reasonably small amount of force. It seems to me that you could use (...) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build)

            Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Chris Phillips
        (...) I just read some of the earlier messages in this thread. I think Michael Powell deserves a medal for having not one, but two of his Lego designs get mentioned independently of one another in a single discussion. (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build)

           RE: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Doug Carlson
        At 07:39 PM 9/29/99 GMT, you wrote: Hey folks, I tried that mod but the spacing was off for just adding the pulleys. so I rebuilt it a bit differently. It is larger now, and not quite so elegant. but it does accomplish the full stroke goal. I also (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

            RE: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Ralph Hempel
         (...) design. The bent beams are still there though!. I really like the wierd looking angle of the pistons. I never thought of that. I toyed with the idea of a radial compressor with a central gear that drove four planetary gears and each having a (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

            RE: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Doug Carlson
        (...) Thanks! I'm not sure if "improved" is the right word though. In my mind it was a trade off between funtionality and aesthetics. The result just looks a little too blocky compared to where it atarted. The bent beams are a great idea. They hold (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

           RE: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Doug Carlson
       (...) pulleys... and a few extra parts. I was working from memory late at night and had the angled beams in upside down. So, please disregard my earlier post as it works great this way. :-) Another neat neat thing about this layout is that there is (...) (25 years ago, 11-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

          Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Soh Chio Siong
      (...) Hi, Ralph Your double-acting pump is still a cool design. I like the futuristic look. It was quite easy to build from the pictures. I had to substitute for the tall sloped brick but otherwise I followed the images faithfully. Of course, I'm (...) (25 years ago, 30-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Michael Gasperi
      c s soh <cssoh@singnet.com.sg> wrote in message news:37F21B8E.1C3CD6....com.sg... (...) What kind of maximum pressure (psi) can you get? I built a pressure sensor that I will publish very soon based on the Lucas sensors available from Digikey. I (...) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Soh Chio Siong
     (...) Er, I didn't actually measure the pressure. I merely recorded the movement of the piston of the cylinder up to its maximum extent. -- C S Soh (URL) where air is power (25 years ago, 30-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Mario Ferrari
     A Lego testing machine for Lego compressors... wow, one of the coolest Lego things ever seen around! I love the idea and love your implementation, and find your results very useful. BTW, I think that the Ralph Hempel's double-action compressor (...) (25 years ago, 28-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Soh Chio Siong
     (...) I have tried to emphasise all the time in my web pages. It has probably reached the theoretical limit of efficiency for the small pump. It will be difficult to build another compressor that can surpass his mini compressor. On the other hand, (...) (25 years ago, 28-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Don Forth
      Hmm maybe I should clean up my Compressor design and add it to my Lego page I have expanded on the mini-compressor to make it double action - but full stroke. It is about twice as long as the mini pump, and a little wider due to three 24t gears. (...) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Ray Kelm
     (...) You might want to use a sliding mechanism on the pen to eliminate the arc that it draws. It will skew the measurement (no longer quite linear scale) but not so badly that it will be useless. Straightening the lines out will help make the (...) (25 years ago, 28-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Soh Chio Siong
     (...) Thanks, A sliding mechanism was one of the early failed attempts. It proved too complicated requiring several linkages. Actually, it does not really matter that the pen draws an arc rather than a vertical line because the brain can interpret (...) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —John Morgan
     (...) Hi Chio Thats a pretty interesting design. Nice work! (URL) Here is a link to some pictures of the two stage compressor I built. Hopefully there are enough details shown to reconstruct it but if you have any questions let me know. The actual (...) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Larry Pieniazek
      Why is this two stage? I could not follow this design clearly but are you feeding the output of one stage to the input of the next? Two compressor pistons in parallel is something else (double acting?? I am not sure what)... Cool design no mater (...) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

          Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —John Morgan
      (...) Hmmm .. Two stage might not be the correct term. Two stage would imply it was compressing already compressed air, right ? I am sorry about that. Double acting would probably be more correct as each compressor leads to it's own airtank then (...) (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Soh Chio Siong
     (...) My, that is an awesome looking compressor design, indeed. I hope it doesn't throw my recording device off-scale. I'm not too sure I can build it just from the pictures but I'll give it a go. It'll help if you could include some exploded views (...) (25 years ago, 30-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —John Morgan
     (...) heehee more air power is better,right ? <grin> of course it really depends on the application, but in this case I want to push about 8 cylinders. maybe this upgrade to the pump will help get me inspired to complete it. (...) I will put some (...) (25 years ago, 30-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Larry Pieniazek
      DHL is an express service, competitor to Airborne and FedEx. Master Soh is making a play for a donation. :-) (...) (25 years ago, 30-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

          Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Soh Chio Siong
       (...) Well, sort of. As you can imagine, all my pumps and air tanks are already taken up in my models of Mike's and Ralph's and other compressors in order to carry out the comparative tests. Seriously though, if anyone has pneumatic parts they no (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

          Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —John Morgan
      (...) Ahhh I see now... DHL is the one with the flying trucks arent they ? As soon as I personally watch one of them land on my street, I will gladly send him the assembly( without tanks of course) Its hard to replace them since I dont live in (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

          Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Soh Chio Siong
      (...) Yes, it's a real pain to get those little blue air tanks as spares. And I forsee there will be an increase in their demand since my article was posted. Perhaps, here's where Emmanuel of DYA-shopping (where else but in France itself) could come (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

          Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —John Morgan
      (...) Yea, I bought two of the technic subs just for the tanks. Your fine data does show they help : ) Thanks again for sharing it!! (...) That is an excellent idea. Maybe a group buy thru him could be worked out if he doesnt want to have them as a (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Soh Chio Siong
     (...) Er, DHL is one of the international express courier services. They'll deliver parcels to any place in the world. You could also use Federal Express... No, I don't want the DAT files, I want to lay my hands on that awesome creation of yours (...) (25 years ago, 30-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —John Morgan
     (...) Greetings : ) Silly me, made it more complex than it was. Does DHL stand for "Delivers Holy LEGOs" ??... Thanks for the clarification. Anyway here is a link to several pictures of the assembly process. I will try to put together a parts list. (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Soh Chio Siong
     (...) Gosh, that's a tall order. Y'know, you're going to send me back into hiding for quite a while. And I was just thinking of taking a break after coming out with my new creation. Maybe I should just loan you my testing machine.... -- C S Soh (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Larry Pieniazek
      (...) DON'T go back into hiding! We're all glad you popped up. Excellent site, I know I nominated it for CLSotW and I bet other people did too. Very important work to the community as a whole. Thanks!!!! (...) You could probably oh, I dunno, DHL it (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

          Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Soh Chio Siong
      (...) Well, didn't really expect you would let me off so easily. (...) Oh dear, my site's a mess. Just hope you know what you're doing. (...) A better idea - if I could contort myself to fit into the DHL box .... Cheers -- C S Soh (URL) where air is (...) (25 years ago, 2-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —John Morgan
     (...) well, you did ask for a parts list : ). I was trying to be complete and not run you off. Please don't feel obligated to run any tests on this as I understand too well life's time constraints. After I finished up all the picts and description, (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Larry Pieniazek
      (...) Works for me. I'll even pay for shipping. :-) Just kidding. I think we need to see instructions for the tester! That way we can all reproduce the results. But, maybe we need to compare several testers to see how much variability there is (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

          Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Michael Gasperi
        Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote in message news:37F4B2C6.5A1298...ger.net... (...) For the development of my pressure sensor I used a digital pressure gauge that you can buy for checking tire pressure. ($8.00 at KMart) It requires removing (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

           Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Nick Taylor
       Michael, Another great post! You should be in the "LEGO Hall of Fame" along with Dave Baum and Mark Overmars! Thanks for your many contributions, - Nick - (...) (25 years ago, 1-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

          Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Soh Chio Siong
       (...) Well, people, I think we'd better get down to some serious business... (...) Agreed. Building instructions on the way soon as I can see whether improvements are required as as been variously suggested:a. use an angle sensor b. use a pressure (...) (25 years ago, 2-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

          Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Soh Chio Siong
      (...) Here are thoughts on the variability in the tester issues posed. The most important sources of variability in the RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester and precautions to be taken are as follows: 1. The compressor under test itself may be (...) (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

          Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Andy Gombos
      (...) Set up a pump, a valve, and a cylinder like this. pump------Valve---...---cylnder \___...___/ Then put a few drops of oil into each tube AFTER the valve. Turn the valve so the cylinder goes up, and push the pump. Then set the valve to go down. (...) (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

          Lubricating Cylinders —Ralph Hempel
       (...) I've noticed that some of my cylinders are a bit "sticky" or sound like they are grinding. The small cylinders and pumps have a lubricant on them already. On a side note, I'd be careful about what kind of oil I put into these cylinders, since (...) (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build)

           Re: Lubricating Cylinders —Russell Nelson
        > > > (Anyone found a safe and effective lubricant for them?) Graphite? As is used in locks? (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

          Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Soh Chio Siong
      (...) Any special type of oil? I've been hesistant about using oil. As I understand it, there is rubber inside the cylinder and oil affects rubber. I'll give it a try! (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

          Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Wes Matchett
       (...) I would also restrain from using oil. If you open a hand pump (the easiest pneumatic to open) you notice that there is a clear grease lubricating the piston. I would guess this is some type of silicone product. I don't think petroleum oil is (...) (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

          Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Soh Chio Siong
      (...) Thanks, I would certainly want my pneumatics to last. Wish the pumps and cylinders could come with a little leaflet on their proper use and care, together with a small tube of the approved lubricant. (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

          Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Andy Gombos
       (...) So I guess I should use lubricants made especially for plastic and rubber huh. Else you should probably just leave it alone. I wonder... How bad will the get screwed up? Anyone know? I mean if you use say machine oil(what I use) and it will (...) (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

           Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Soh Chio Siong
       (...) Pneumatics have been around for 15 years. Anyone oiled them back in 1984? And also has some un-oiled ones with them? Well, one of my cylinders has already been filled with oil. So I'll just have to wait 20 years. Let me see, that'll be 2019. (...) (25 years ago, 5-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

           Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Ben Williamson
       (...) I, um, have one that was filled with water back then... *cough* It doesn't work so good any more. ;) - Ben. ---...--- Ben Williamson benw@pobox.com (URL) (25 years ago, 9-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

           Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Soh Chio Siong
       (...) Er, I thought water is "hydrolics". Anyway, you've advanced our meagre knowledge concerning Lego pneumatics, namely you've confirmed what doesn't work. But we're still much in the dark about what will work. Guess we'll just have to wait for (...) (25 years ago, 5-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

           Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Antony Furneaux
       I have some of the original pneumatic cylinders with only one inlet. They have been used for various non Lego uses. While coming back from the dark ages, I have discovered that all three still work once they have been pumped once by had. They can (...) (25 years ago, 7-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

           Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —S. Crawshaw
       (...) But do you reckon the seals are the same? They may use different material now... BTW, does anyone have any good uses for the old cylinders? They are pretty feeble when pulling (ie relying on "vacuum"), and seem (IMO) to be less well-built than (...) (25 years ago, 7-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

           Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Antony Furneaux
       I'm using one of my old cylinders for my cut-off pressure switch. This only uses one of the inlets any way. They are OK for once only trigger events. They can also be used to transfer motion from one place to another by simply connecting two with (...) (25 years ago, 7-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

          Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Jacob Schultz
      (...) Has anyone actually contacted LEGO and asked for this? I remember when I was a kid and one of those copper thingies (I don't know the correct English word word) which picks up the electric power from the track in the middle of the old train (...) (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Soh Chio Siong
     (...) Just kidding! Well, you my weakness. How could I possibly pass off the opportuntiy to build and test what might turn out to be the ultimate Lego air compressor? Fact is I've already started on it but there may be some delay coz I'm truly out (...) (25 years ago, 2-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Soh Chio Siong
     (...) Thanks for your patience. Just received 4 of the lil' compressor pumps and have built and tested John Morgan's new double-acting (*correct terminology*) compressor. Unfortunately, the design does not seem to work out in practice. After just a (...) (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: RCX Controlled Air Compressor Tester —Joel Shafer
   (...) I wonder how this compressor stacks up to the others that were reviewed. C S Soh? Joel Shafer joel@connect.net (25 years ago, 29-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)