 Off-Topic / Fun / 2383
Re: Lord of the Rings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 21:01:32 GMT

On Mon, 26 Jul 1999 17:48:04 GMT, "Tom McDonald"
<radiotitan@spamcake.yahoo.com> wrote:

(BTW Jasper, you've been away too long :-)

Thanks. That warms my heart, it does.. (or is that the scotch?)

Yeah, I've seen a coupla sites and been kinda keeping up on the casting. I am
sorta concerned about a lot of CGI though: while it's very good now,
stretching characters to adjust for size is risky, not that some actors aren't
good at compensating. But I can tell when a character is does not have the
look of either looking a CGI in the eyes, or shows no sign of responding to
nuances in the CGI's movement. Even in TPM I could tell sometimes, and they
had on-set physical representation of the character.

This is true, but using it for armies of orcs and dwarves shouldn't
have those problems.

Then again, on-set representation (preferably by a live actor,
bodypainted Braveheart-blue all over if necessary), _should_ give you
the same visuals. What it can't do is allow the chemistry between
leads to develop.

I don't want LOTR to be more eye-candy than anything else. I want it to be a
good movie all around. Here's hoping for the best!

Seconded, of course.

Although I'd like it to be a good entire _trilogy_, not just a good
film with bad sequels.

Jasper