 Off-Topic / Fun / 2373
Re: Lord of the Rings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 16:15:53 GMT

On Sun, 18 Jul 1999 03:55:54 GMT, John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net>
wrote:

Wow.  I loved it.  'Course, I read Jurassic Park years before it became a
movie, and Lost World.  Movies can't do justice to the books on which they are
based [1], but they do a good job of graphically portraying the characters,
especially Dinos:-)  Reading the book and *then* seeing movies is the best way
IMO to go.  I'd think living in Utah you'd be a little more sympathetic to our
extinct friends;-)

Well, the movie did have one advantage over the book: It didn't have
to start the very first scene with the apalling retcon of how Ian (?)
the mathemagician really _isn't_ dead.

Other than that... both the book and the movie, even compared to other
Crichtons, basically just sucked. It was a pure money-grabbing quickie
by Crichton, and it got turned by Spielberg into a film that would
have been extremely impressive just for Visual effects if it had
appeared a year after JP. But it didn't, and it wasn't.

All IMHO of course.

Jasper