 Off-Topic / Fun / 2304
Re: Lord of the Rings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:08:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Terry Keller writes:
On Sun, 18 Jul 1999 07:39:34 GMT, "Sproaticus" <jsproat@io.com> wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Terry Keller writes:
On Sun, 18 Jul 1999 03:44:28 GMT, "Sproaticus" <jsproat@io.com> wrote:
In lugnet.general, Tom McDonald writes:
I don't think we came up with a good Aragorn protrayed by any
working actor, though we tossed around a few ideas.
Pete Postlethwaite.  He was the cliche hunter guy in the Lost World.  Good
actor, terrible movie.
You mean the guy who wanted to waive his fee and instead take a trophy T- • Rex?
That guy most definately is *not* my impression of Aragorn.  Wrong look,
attitude, and age.

Well, put hair on his head.  :-,  He's got the look of someone who's
being driven by something in his past, something haunting him...  I dunno how
he'd do with a sword in hand though.  Aragorn needs to be able to handle a
sword.  And Aragorn's actor absolutely needs to carry that scene where he • bids
farewell to Boromir.  This scene will make or break the character.

He needs to be tall too. And he also needs to look kingly in a pinch. Sounds
like this is all a tall order for an actor. Anyone want to nomiate Liam Neeson
(again? :-)

I nominate Steven Segal for Boromir.

That guy just seems to old.

Numerically, Aragorn is supposed to be old, but he ages more slowly because of
his heritage.

Did Aragorn have a beard?  I always seem to
picture him with a beard.

For Aragorn, no beard. It's never mentioned. The only characters IIRC that had
beards mentioned were Gandalf, Saruman and Denethor.

We completely drew a blank with Gollum.
Leonardo DiCaprio?  :-P  Or perhaps Gene Wilder...
They need a small, weasely type.

Aren't either of these weasly enough?  How about that first one?  :-D

Weasely yes, but too large.  Besides, we wouldn't want all the teenage girls • to
be falling in love with Gollum.

Willam Dafoe (sp?) what about him? He also needs to be capable of treachery
and be willing to bite off a finger ;-)

Glenn Close as Galadriel and Uma Thurman as Eowyn.

That's just it: I wouldn't pick either one. I find blondes hard to pick for
this. The Eowyn character has to look good with a sword too.

But please, no Uma.  I never saw what made her so popular.

Uma's eyes have a certain something. I first noticed her in the movie Baron
Munchausen. (Kinda hard not to.)

For me, it's always been Penn Jilette ooh-ing and ahh-ing over her in the • back
of PC Computing.

Her or Penn? :-)

That does it.  I'm OUTTA UTAH come 2002!  :-,
The Committee will probably be glad to hear that.  Might even add it to the
promotional literature.  :-P

ouch!  :-,

It will be interesting to see how a zillion thirsty tourists and Utahs liquor
laws coexist.  Very interesting.

BYOB buddy, unless you guys are still in prohibition :-). And where $ exists,
they'll coexist quite nicely thank you. Just don't wait until Saturday night
to buy it, right?

-Tom McD.
when replying, sing it with me now: spamcake on my shoulders makes me happy...