 Off-Topic / Debate / 20307
Re: QB and CA, was Re: THIS is why this whole war is a waste of time. - NO ITS NOT - GO BUILD SOME LEG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 13:17:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Terry Prosper writes:
I don't want to make this sound like QB bashing,
but "My Country, Quebec'?
Terry, what gives?
It's like saying, "My Country, Ontario" or "My Country, Hamilton".
Why do some folks from Quebec want their province to be recognized as a country?
I really would like to know for I love Canada, I love being Canadian, and I
love my sisters and brothers from all parts of this wonderful country.
Dave K

Because Québec never signed canada's constitution.  Because we don't speak
the same language.  Because Québécois and canadians have nothing in common.

I'm not Canadian, even if my passport says so.  And pretty soon, less than
20 years from now, we will be a country.

Terry

Didn't sign the constitution?  That's your beef?  Come up with something
relevant to todays generation--that was in 1982 and it was bringing back the
constitution from Britain.  The constitution was signed by all far before
either you and I were born--your province didn't sign off on bringing it
back to Canada.  Yes, I can see how some fellow Canadians would be happy
keeping Canada's constitution over there in 'the old country'.  For being a
person so unconcerned what happens with the ROC and wanting your own
country, you seem to be making a tirade against the constitution--have some
consistency in your reasoning--if you want nothing to do with the ROC, then
don't whine that you didn't sign the 'patriation' in '82.

Don't speak the same language?  That's cause to 'form your own country'?  If
so, many many countries would be split into many little countries right now.
But wait!  Here comes Canada!  Where we have, what?  *Two* official
languages!  Where you're legally able and entitled to exchange business and
commerce in either of those official languages.  Oh and that *one* of our
provinces, which will remain nameless, has laid down the law where only
*one* language can be the predominant one, whereas the rest of the country
is bi-lingual.  But I'm not bitter about that-I think it's A Good Thing(tm)
to show the uniqueness of Quebec and Canada.  I have no problem at all with
'Distinct Society'.  I have no problem with one province bing 'uni-lingual'.
I have no problem that in the ROC we are taught french *and* english through
our education system, and that in Quebec we only have to learn french.

Here's a news flash Terry--The Québécois *are* Canadian, just like
Ontarians, just like folks from Moosejaw.  We are all Canadian.  Let's talk
about where most of our Prime Ministers come from?  Don't have a voice?
Whatever.

I'm very happy that every single time that this debate and vote come up,
even with all the obfuscating and fiddling with badly worded questions, that
the referendum(s) (ad nauseum) always fail, that there are Québécois who
understand what it is to be part of something better, instead of suffering
alone.  Not only is Canada better with Quebec as a distinct and wonderful
part of it, but Quebec is so much better off being part of Canada.

And every single time this referendum issue comes up for the rest of my
life, I will do everything in my power to make sure it's a 'no' vote.  You,
Terry, and I are at odds on this one.

Vive Le Quebec!
Vive Le Canada!

Dave K
-who may have appeared a little harsh in this tirade above, but after
listening to Renee politics most of his life, he just gets sick of it.  Come
up with something new and relevant--why do some folks of 'La Belle Province'
still want to have their own country?