 Off-Topic / Debate / 19280
19279  |  19281
Subject:
Jeff Berry's Intolerance [Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 10:16:30 GMT

Lenin would have been so proud.

JOHN

Right now I'm reading Jon Ronson's "Them". In the text, he interviews Jeff
Berry [Imperial Wizard of American Knights of the Ku Klux Klan]. Later, he
switches on the TV and finds Jeff Berry on CBS ["48 Hours"?]. This is how
Ronson describes the scene:

==+==
Then Jeff was standing on the steps of a courthouse. He was surrounded by his
followers, who wore a variety of multicoloured robes. One man held up a noose,
from which was hanging a lynched black baby doll wearing a nappy. Jeff yelled,
'The Klan is getting bigger, aren't you glad you're not a n*gger?' And then, 'I
have a daughter that's twenty-one and a son that's twenty-three, and you know
what? They hate n*ggers too!'
==+==

Reading this within the context of the reaction to Dan Rather's recent
interview with SH raised two questions:

Q Were DR’s right-wing critics quite so critical of Jeff Berry’s appearance
on CBS?
A I'm far too cynical too answer that. ;)

Q Is SH & DR the very worst the American viewing public is offered?
A I expect not. [I've seen friends ;) ] In the text, Ronson talks with other
clan members who argue that Jeff Berry only gets on TV so much because he is so
willing to say the n-word: “N*gger, n*gger, n*gger, that's all they want. They
don't want somebody up there telling white people to love their children. They
just want somebody up there hollering n*gger, n*gger, n*gger. He's speaking
from a script. If it wasn't for Jerry Springer he'd be a nothing and a nobody
and nobody would know him.”

I’d say Jeff Berry’s intolerance is a bigger threat to “American values” than
either DR or SH. But I'm not sure what Lenin would think of that.

Scott A

[note: the *s belong to me]