 Off-Topic / Debate / 19238
Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 00:17:18 GMT

Ah, "Yankee Doodle Doctor."  A fine piece of celluloid.

Much of Hawkeye's routine in that episode is a direct homage to Groucho in
"A Day at the Races," worth seeing despite some racial issues[1] that may be
uncomfortable to modern viewers.

My biggest beef with MASH is that it was rather blatant in its bias, and
worse, it was good enough that it made Alan Alda and Mike Farrell (useful
idiots both) and other fellow travelers shedfuls of cash.

But it's a pretty funny show nonetheless.

My second beef is that by using the Korean war as a vehicle to be against
the Vietnam war (at the time of the movie, that was the drill, to make all
war look bad regardless of justification) it muddies history badly.

The Korean war, in case people forget, was one in which there was a UN
mandate to expel a tyrannical and brutal invader. Remember?

An invader who signed an armistice only, technically that war is still on,
still under its original UN mandate, no peace treaty was ever signed.... and
an invader who, to this day, continues to brutalize its people and cause
trouble in the region as a way to shake down richer societies for aid.

So the rest of you can fondly remember MASH if you like. I won't be
participating in the general euphoria about it.

The MASH movie, as intended by the director, wasn't suppose to mention that
it took place in Korea at all to 'blur' the line between thinking it was
about Korea or about Vietnam.  Another interesting tid-bit about the movie
was that there was only one gunshot heard thru the entire movie--during the
football game.

I thought the series was a wonderful way to discuss issues.   Many
television series were used to discuss issues of the day in 'alternate
universes'--Star Trek jumps to mind right off the top of my head.

I'm of the opinion that television shows, while they entertain, should at
least try to say *something* once in a while so a little 'broadening the
mind' can happen, even if it's a satire like 'Married with Children'.

Sure it fails in almost every regard, but today we're remembering Mr. Rogers
and the good that he did for generations of people.  The boob tube has the
power to entertain, but more, it has the power to educate and shape views.

It's like the Bill Cosby cartoon--"if you're not careful, you may learn
something before we're through."  Probably one of the biggest reasons I
haven't appreiciated 'reality shows' at all--there's nothing there that you
can take away at the end of the episode.  With shows like MASH, even if you
disagree with their views on issues, at least the issues were being talked
about, and you can be more informed and better form your own ideas and views.

At least that's how I have always tried to take my television viewing
(again, beyond the sheer 'entertainment' value)

My fav. shows thru the years--MASH (as stated), Star Trek, WKRP, Cheers,
Family Ties, and others.  One of the things I appreciated about all these
shows is that they tried, even if it was just once in a while, to discuss
the issues.

"A Private Little War"--Star Trek at its best.

'Nuff said.

Dave K