 Off-Topic / Debate / 19237
Re: And now for something completely different...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 23:36:49 GMT

Hm. If it were totally hopeless. Completely. I wonder if the best solution
to both problems would be to tell the public that the asteroid was coming,
but at the same time, lie to them and say that "we have a solution, and are
working on it". It might cut down on the chaos and at the same time keep
people posted of the threat. I dunno. I don't like the idea of lying to the
public either. I guess there's no solution that I like :( Let's just hope
there really IS a solution :)

But, you see, there IS a solution. Get a large enough industrial base going
in the system that any object moving at less than relativistic speeds can be
cheerfully disassembled as soon as its vectors are calculated, and turned
into shiny consumer goods for Ganymedian housewives or whatever.

The way we're going about space exploitation now ain't gonna cut it though.