 Off-Topic / Debate / 19294
Re: And now for something completely different...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 15:26:48 GMT

However I will point out since we're talking ratios, that every dollar spent
on space so far has returned LOTS more than 9... and that's with launching
every pound from earth instead of using lunar and asteroidal/cometary materials.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/030307.html

YMMV

    Dave!

Why do we climb a mountain?

Why do we explore the depths of the sea?

Never underestimate the merit of 'The Cool Factor'!  ;)

Why should be go into space?  Because it's the next step

We came out of the caves and wondered at the possibilities...

We went up the hill to see what was on the other side...

We looked across the sea and yearned to discover what was over there...

And now, in our infancy of reaching for the stars--the ingrained notion of
curiosity, the quest for knowledge, the history of exploration, of genuine
human nature--we're going to say, 'It's just too tough!'?

I hope we say, "I don't think so."

Dave K