 Off-Topic / Debate / 19282
Re: And now for something completely different...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 14:58:10 GMT

That's not what i meant.  What I meant was building self-sufficient
infrastructure down HERE.  Like school and education.. which is proven to be
amazingly helpful. Recently I've heard that for every dollar spent on higher
education, it yield 9 dollars in the future.

Can you provide a cite for that 9 to 1 ratio? Education is good, if that's
what you get for the money. But public education money doesn't seem to
actually deliver education.

http://www.fsu.com

without money, education is substantially more difficult to achieve.  with
proper funding, drawing more motivate personel and updated equipement.. not
to mention properly feeding the children/teens.. education becomes something
more akin just urging along the instinctual desire to learn.

Hmm.. I can't provide a CITE, but I know that transporting materials
into space
is very expensive.. something like $100 a pound.  Industrial Infrastructure..
last i heard.. was pretty heavy.

Who said anything about transporting the infrastructure from earth? That's a
bad idea but it's not what's being proposed. You haven't done your research.

However I will point out since we're talking ratios, that every dollar spent
on space so far has returned LOTS more than 9... and that's with launching
every pound from earth instead of using lunar and asteroidal/cometary >materials.

cite please?

umm.. well there's nothing in space now.. I'm afraid we'll have to transport
SOMETHING up there. like maybe some equipment.

perhaps you should enlighten me on what's being proposed.  What research
SHOULD I have done.

ps. you seem to come off pretty bitter.. i hope you don't take all this to be
personal.

Na, nothing personal... but luddites DO make me bitter.

if you think i'm a luddite, you're not paying attention.