 Off-Topic / Debate / 19246
Re: And now for something completely different...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 14:02:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Leonard Hoffman writes:

well, look at it from a resources point of view.  a colony in space or on
another planet would cost trillions, and yet people are starving to death here
on earth.  What can a space colony do that would make such an expediture
worthwhile?

Please provide a cite for why a colony (which is not what I'm talking about,
I don't want some ISS writ large... I'm talking about an industrial
infrastructure that supports itself) would necessarily cost trillions, or
even cost more than it would return.

I don't care if it does -- I want my piece of the pork to go to space!  What
can a space colony do that would make such an expenditure worthwhile?  In order
of importance: 1) It would be the coolest thing humanity has ever done! 2) It
would get me off this rock. 3) It would provide a million untold technologies
to improve the lives of everyone on earth. 4) It would give us a real
opportunity to create whole new forms of governance. 5) It would be the first
step in spreading humanity across the stars so that no single disaster could
eliminate us. 6) It would help to trivialize the petty squabbles (Bushes v.
Husseins) that fill our news broadcasts.  etc.

Trillions is fine.  Bankrupting every nation on Earth to create an interstellar
diaspora would be great!

Chris

I agree we should go into space. I also think we should vet all world
leaders pychologically before we let them take up power.

I think space colonization wouldn't have to be that expensive. We coud use
robots to build our bases on Mars and make the place habitable before we
even went their.

Quite recently their was a thread on planet moving and I have anoher idea.
Place a ring of powerful hydrogen fueled rocket motors around the Martian
equator and fire them in sequence when the planets rotation brings them
round to the front. You could then slow the planet bringing it's orbit
closer to the sun therby brining it into the crucial temperate region
surruonding the sun. Once their simply speed the planet up again. You might
need a chimney to get the rocket eflux above the atmosphere. It would
probably take ages but the effects shoud be cumalative.

Steve