 Off-Topic / Debate / 19327
19326  |  19328
Subject:
Schooling dollars (was: And now for something completely different...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 06:00:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Leonard Hoffman writes:
That's not what i meant.  What I meant was building self-sufficient
infrastructure down HERE.  Like school and education.. which is proven to be
amazingly helpful. Recently I've heard that for every dollar spent on higher
education, it yield 9 dollars in the future.

Can you provide a cite for that 9 to 1 ratio? Education is good, if that's
what you get for the money. But public education money doesn't seem to
actually deliver education.

http://www.fsu.com

without money, education is substantially more difficult to achieve.  with
proper funding, drawing more motivate personel and updated equipement.. not
to mention properly feeding the children/teens.. education becomes something
more akin just urging along the instinctual desire to learn.

Money doesn't seem to draw more motivated personnel.  By maybe better
personnel, sometimes.  As a grad student in education a few years ago, I polled
a small sample of teachers (~40) to determine what one thing would be most
likely to help them quit their teaching position to take another.  Virtually
every one would take a substantial pay cut and drive farther to work in a place
where the teachers were given dignity and respect by the administration and
students.  Our system of K-12 schooling needs vast change, but not more money.

The best educational paradigm in America is a private school that
unprecidentedly costs less than public schools.  See http://www.sudval.org

You were originally talking about higher education and I think that system
needs a different set of vast change.  Some of which is funding to permit
everyone who wants to go to school to do so.  But I'm not sure how to achieve
that in what I consider an ethical way.  Maybe an infrastructure to help the
wealthy underwrite
education loans for the disadvantaged...

While I think that funding good public education at all levels is important,
I'm deeply skeptical of the president of FSU's unattributed quip about
"studies."

Chris