 Off-Topic / Debate / 19281
Re: And now for something completely different...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 13:41:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Leonard Hoffman writes:

That's not what i meant.  What I meant was building self-sufficient
infrastructure down HERE.  Like school and education.. which is proven to be
amazingly helpful. Recently I've heard that for every dollar spent on higher
education, it yield 9 dollars in the future.

Can you provide a cite for that 9 to 1 ratio? Education is good, if that's
what you get for the money. But public education money doesn't seem to
actually deliver education.

Hmm.. I can't provide a CITE, but I know that transporting materials
into space
is very expensive.. something like $100 a pound.  Industrial Infrastructure..
last i heard.. was pretty heavy.

Who said anything about transporting the infrastructure from earth? That's a
bad idea but it's not what's being proposed. You haven't done your research.

However I will point out since we're talking ratios, that every dollar spent
on space so far has returned LOTS more than 9... and that's with launching
every pound from earth instead of using lunar and asteroidal/cometary materials.

ps. you seem to come off pretty bitter.. i hope you don't take all this to be
personal.

Na, nothing personal... but luddites DO make me bitter.