 Off-Topic / Debate / 19299
Re: And now for something completely different...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 17:49:57 GMT

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/030307.html

YMMV

It certainly does. I think less of that particular source each time I see it
cited.

He has no idea what he's talking about in this case, and his collection of
assertions is just that, a collection of assertions with bias (but no cites)
behind them.

That's OK, I'm not going to dig up many cites either, this particular topic
has been beaten to death here in the past already. You can argue that maybe
we would have started launching weather satellites and communication
satellites anyway without the impetus of the rest of the space program, if
you like. I dunno.

Heck, maybe it would have been better if we *had* done that, so we didn't
have the albatross of NASA and its balls of red tape standing in the way of
the commercialization of space.

But to say that we haven't gotten back much more than we spent (viewed in
the aggregate, and if you get to lump school lunch in with education, I get
to lump man in a can launches in with weather satellites)... that's just
either foolish or luddite.