 Off-Topic / Debate / 19221
Re: And now for something completely different...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 19:17:04 GMT

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/02/28/asteriod.alert/index.html

Would you want to know if a giant 'planet killer' asteroid was heading
straight for earth?

I think the question is, would you want everyone ELSE to know? I don't think
there are many people who *wouldn't* want to know, but think how many people
would loot, riot, quit their jobs, etc, etc, all without fear of
reprecussion. Our last days/weeks/months on Earth would probably be awful if
the general populous knew. But despite that, I'd still like to know; just to
satisfy my ignorance.

If we could pull off a scientifically implausable thing like they did in
'Armageddon' or 'Deep Impact', then I'd support the effort as best I could,
probably jsut by keeping civility and peace.

Anyway, thoughts?  Opinions?

Hm. If it were totally hopeless. Completely. I wonder if the best solution
to both problems would be to tell the public that the asteroid was coming,
but at the same time, lie to them and say that "we have a solution, and are
working on it". It might cut down on the chaos and at the same time keep
people posted of the threat. I dunno. I don't like the idea of lying to the
public either. I guess there's no solution that I like :( Let's just hope
there really IS a solution :)

DaveE