 Off-Topic / Debate / 19244
Re: And now for something completely different...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 11:32:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Leonard Hoffman writes:

well, look at it from a resources point of view.  a colony in space or on
another planet would cost trillions, and yet people are starving to death here
on earth.  What can a space colony do that would make such an expediture
worthwhile?

Please provide a cite for why a colony (which is not what I'm talking about,
I don't want some ISS writ large... I'm talking about an industrial
infrastructure that supports itself) would necessarily cost trillions, or
even cost more than it would return.

I don't care if it does -- I want my piece of the pork to go to space!  What
can a space colony do that would make such an expenditure worthwhile?  In order
of importance: 1) It would be the coolest thing humanity has ever done! 2) It
would get me off this rock. 3) It would provide a million untold technologies
to improve the lives of everyone on earth. 4) It would give us a real
opportunity to create whole new forms of governance. 5) It would be the first
step in spreading humanity across the stars so that no single disaster could
eliminate us. 6) It would help to trivialize the petty squabbles (Bushes v.
Husseins) that fill our news broadcasts.  etc.

Trillions is fine.  Bankrupting every nation on Earth to create an interstellar
diaspora would be great!

Chris