 Off-Topic / Debate / 19243
Re: And now for something completely different...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 08:38:16 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Please provide a cite for why a colony (which is not what I'm talking about,
I don't want some ISS writ large... I'm talking about an industrial
infrastructure that supports itself) would necessarily cost trillions, or
even cost more than it would return.

Well, you know the space program hasn't gained us anything useful at
all... :-) :-) :-) (1)

Of course all sorts of good stuff has come from the space program. While
we can pick bones with how it was financed, there is no doubt whatsoever
that many of the things we take for granted on a day to day basis would
not be here without the space program (I'm not even sure Lugnet would be
here - remember, the internet started out as a military research
project).

Of course I also hope privatized space travel will come through (and I'm
proud to say that my alma matter was proud enough of the first private
space traveler to point out that he was a fellow alum).

Frank