 Off-Topic / Debate / 19340
Re: And now for something completely different...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:27:12 GMT

http://www.ccssc.org/exhibit.htm
"The Coca-Cola drink dispenser is a replica of the first such beverage
machine taken into space. The dispenser was used during recent shuttle
missions to test the feasibility of creating and drinking carbonated
beverages in space."

The deal with research is that you never know what ancillary technologies will
crop up from it.  You can smirk at Coke in space all you want, but the "test
the feasibility of creating...carbonated beverages in space" part sounds like
potentially very usefull technology.  What if in order to do so they have to
invent a new distillation technology that allows poor countries to cheaply
extract potable water from poluted or saline sources?  I'm obviously just
pulling that out of my donkey, but stuff like that has happened a thousand
times with the space program.

  Though I've said before that I support space exploration in its own right
(without needing a penny-for-penny justification), I'm not sure about the
1000 fecund technologies bred by the space program.  Am I just being dense?
I mean, are these technologies that could not have been developed just as
well through equally well-funded terrestrial research?  To put it another
way, was the development of these technologies dependent upon the space
program or was it a matter of "we have a space program, and by the way,
here's a non-stick frying pan"?

  And, anyway, even if not a dime's worth of spilloff technology has come
out of the space program, NASA's budget really isn't the bank-breaker that
some critics seem to think it is.  The as-yet-science-fiction missile
defense system (and the research thereof) is a much more wasteful use of
money, for example.

  So why not let NASA have its zero-g Coke machines?  The Fed has the money
to throw around elsewhere, so let's use that, instead.

      Dave!