 Off-Topic / Debate / 19257
Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 04:02:16 GMT

[snipped the numbers]

Ok you are only siting the murder rate and calling it the crime rate.  Armed
robbery is where increase is. The murder rate is essentially unchanged between
countries with or without strict gun control. I cannot seem to find any numbers
available online. I have heard them numerous times in various Social Studies
classes I have taken but I be darned if I can find a link to any.

The odds that there is no correlation is pretty slim when several 'tests'
have been conducted with all the same result.

Please provide data from tests that demonstrate the same result, and
please demonstrate that a causative relationship has been established
between increased gun control and increased crime rate.  The information
you've provided so far does not do so.

Rather than repeating the mantra of "gun control equals violence," let's
set that aside for a moment and instead ask ourselves the important
question.  If and armed citizenry is really the key do reduced crime,
explain to me why the number of gun homicides in the US in 1999 was 11,127,
while the same year the number of gun homicides in Canada was 165.

Who knows.  It has always been like that since the founding of the countries.

Neither
nation has particularly draconian gun control laws; if anything, Canada's
restrictions are tighter!  And Canada has double the unemployment rate of
the US, and poverty is certainly no less widespread.
from http://www.jsonline.com/lifestyle/advice/dec02/101310.asp

Here's a postulate (which I don't actually believe, but for which there is
at least as much "evidence" as you have cited for your case):  increased
socialization of public health care results in reduced levels of gun crime.

Again you are using the murder rate as a measure of gun crime which it is not.

Or how about this:  increased mandatory paid maternity leave results in
reduced levels of gun crime.  Or how about this one:  use of the metric
system results in decreased levels of gun crime.
Do you see how that's fallacious reasoning?  My conclusions are consistent
with the data, if we use the US, the UK, and Canada as data sources, but I'm
merely *assuming* a causative relationship, just as you are merely assuming
a causative relationship between increased gun control and increased crime.>

Short, young, females are the most likely to be mugged at night. The reason is
they are the least likely to fight back.

The funny thing is that I'm not even calling for tighter gun control!
I've simply come to the conclusion recently that the real issue isn't gun
control laws at all, but rather a much less "campaign-able" issue such as a
deeper problem in US culture on the whole.

That I will agree on.

-Mike Petrucelli