 Off-Topic / Debate / 19166
Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 19:47:11 GMT

<snipped the stuff I mostly agree with>

All that aside--the NRO is exactly right to identify the interview as a PR
gambit for Rather, as opposed to any sort of kind of serious journalism.
It's hard to fault Rather for failing to condemn Saddam to his face, but
that just tells me the interview shouldn't have happened in the first place.
Shame on Rather in any case.

Why is it hard to fault Rather? I'm a bit lost on that part. I don't think
it's hard at all! Is it hard because he's developmentally disadvantaged or
something?

  I'm sorry--I'm working up from the bottom of two Tylennol Cold capsules,
so fingers well very working my aren't.

   Yes indeed, Rather should be ridiculed/blasted/condemned for this sweeps
stunt.  My poorly prefaced statement should have begin with something like this:

"Assuming that the interview *should* have occurred, and assuming that
Rather had to submit to certain requirements to have the interview take
place at all, I can hardly fault him specifically for submitting to those
requirements."

Now, that's a pair of pretty big assumptions, but if they're both legit,
then Rather could hardly have done otherwise.  Nonetheless, I'm on the side
that says it shouldn't have!

such pretty colors

     Dave!

I just wonder if the rot goes all the way up Viacom or what.