 Off-Topic / Debate / 19163
Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 19:25:28 GMT

Lenin would have been so proud.

Osama and Tarik presumably are.

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-graham022703.asp

  Ah, a condemnation of the liberal media again:

In the days leading up to the Dan's big "get," the liberal media seemed to
rally around the anchorman, refusing to acknowledge a potentially damaging
first impression

and

The liberal media may suggest this is balance against the gung-ho patriots
singing "God Bless America" in D.C., but it's not balance.

  Granted, the NRO makes no overtures of impartiality, but I don't recall
anyone "rallying around" Rather prior to or following the idiotic interview.
Bill Maher decried it last night on Larry King Live, and I know of at least
several Liberal pundits who wondered about it beforehand.
  It's also a dishonest tactic to bring up the "God Bless America"
"patriots," since those singers were responding to the 9th US Circuit
Court's rejection of "under God" in The Pledge (which is, by the way,
*still* straw-manned as "declared the Pledge of Allegiance
unconstitiutional").  Graham's obvious intent in citing this example is to
link "God Bless America" "patriots" with W's war effort, and, by extention,
to imply that those who don't want this war/distraction are 'God-less' or
unpatriotic.

  All that aside--the NRO is exactly right to identify the interview as a PR
gambit for Rather, as opposed to any sort of kind of serious journalism.
It's hard to fault Rather for failing to condemn Saddam to his face, but
that just tells me the interview shouldn't have happened in the first place.
  Shame on Rather in any case.

     Dave!