 Off-Topic / Debate / 19207
Re: We love our guns!!-- was Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 18:14:31 GMT

Refutation--the camera itself didn't cause the accident--the camera didn't
change the timing of the lights.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Your assertion in this case is that the cameras themselves are not causative?

Rather they are merely tools and it's the people (governments in this case)
that use them improperly which cause the problem? So why ban red light
cameras, they're not the problem! Merely ban their improper use.

Then you agree, presumably, that: "the gun didn't cause the crime--the gun
didn't change the motive of the shooter", right? So why ban guns, they're
not the problem! Merely ban their improper use.

Oh if wishing made it so.  I would love to see the day when we would enact
laws banning the improper usage of guns.  Well, we do already and it's known
as 'the law'.

Now here's a situation--can we regulate red light cameras and
non-interference with red light timing changes and enforce a policy thereof?
Well, yes we can--we can check out the timing of traffic lights to see if
they have been tampered with.  So here's a law that can be enforced--we can
basically enforce stopping an illegal act--the act of 'fiddling' with the
timing of the lights.

Now lets try to enforce a law in which criminals can't have guns.  Hmmm...
how to enforce that?  How do we make a law that would not let guns fall into
the hands of thgs and criminals?  I am at a loss, except by reducing the
number of guns in general, which will reduce the number of guns getting into
the hands of criminals, as stated in an earlier post.

Committing an illegal act means that you, the person, are working outside
the law.  If it's machine tampering, we can check that--"Oh this amber light
was changed from 7 seconds to 4 seconds--the law says we must change it back
and hold accountable those that changed it."

If it's getting a gun, how do you enforce that?  "Excuse me sir, I know you
just purchased that on the black market but you can't have that gun--it's
against the law."  If there is a way of enforcing that, I'd be very estatic.

Dave K