 Off-Topic / Debate / 19223
19222  |  19224
Subject:
MASH--geat show was Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 19:28:01 GMT

<snip>

That would be redundant.

That would be redundant.

You can say that again.

JOHN

That made me smile.  Reminded me of so many 'Hawkeye' moments from MASH.

All seriousness aside, I think I owe my incorrigible propensity to punning to
watching Hawkeye and Groucho in my formative years:-)

JOHN

Oh my goodness--last nights ep. of MASH is when that film crew was at the
4077th and Hawkeye 'took over' production.  He and Trapper did the whole
Groucho/Harpo thing (mostly with Radar as the patient).

It was a very funny episode.

Ah, "Yankee Doodle Doctor."  A fine piece of celluloid.

Much of Hawkeye's routine in that episode is a direct homage to Groucho in
"A Day at the Races," worth seeing despite some racial issues[1] that may be
uncomfortable to modern viewers.

    Dave!

[1] I'll elaborate, if anyone cares...

MASH did a pretty good 'racial' episode, in which a wounded soldier didn't
want blood from 'those people'.

Hawkeye sedated him and he and BJ took some dye and coloured the unconsious
soldiers' skin a darker colour...

Was a bit of a wake-up call for the soldier.  Of course, if it were that
easy to get people to think about their racial views, I'd go around dying
everyone's skin a different colour.

Of course, there's always Eddie Murphy's solution--"I have a lotta freinds,
and a whole lot of white make-up!"

One more--a short story by A C Clarke, in which we're visited by an alien
spacecraft sometime in the near future--they let us know, thru a little bit
of a long drawn out story, that we're an old colony of their civilization.
They came to this planet, settled, and, due to a genetic variant that
happened on planet, the people started to distrust one another, and broke
into their two separate camps...  Basically the final line of the story was
the aliens letting us know, "For those of you who are still white--we have
found a cure!"

Dave K