 Off-Topic / Debate / 19170
Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 21:19:10 GMT

<snip>

Dave K

In answer to a few other points made...

http://www.torontoiraqmarch.com/US_Consulate.html

Check out the 'toon at the bottom of this page... It has been said that I'm
morally 'wishy washy'.  I think that, given a cut 'n dry scenario, I am not
wishy washy by any stretch of the imagination--my stance on guns, for
instance--but some here don't acknowledge the trueness of my stance.

But I haven't changed my opinion, and I'm not going to change yours, so
where does that leave us?

But a bigger concern is that the arguements put forth by Dubya for this war,
as the cartoon so clearly shows, imho, is wishy washyness at its best.  I
think we can add a 5th pane as of today--the new idea of 'introducing Iraq'
to democracy--

So now the reason for the war--

is not ties to OBL, for that was proven incorrect
is not WoMD, for that is being worked on by inspectors
is not protecting America, for America is quite protected (being around the
world (don't even mention that you're protecting those around Iraq--that's
not what your president says every single time he opens his mouth--"We have
to protect *Americans*" is his reasoning.))

but is to (hopefully) bring democracy to Iraq.  This was said in a few sound
bites recently, and I'm sure will gather steam as a reason for the
'liberation of Iraq'--there's your wishy washiness.

So, yes, my moral relativism comes out in full force when confronted with
lieing leaders who want us to believe things that are clearly untrue, for I
do not know what (or whom) to believe, and try to remain as objective as
possible.

A few other wishy washy traits of mine--I'm against abortion, therefore I'll
never knock up a woman so she won't be in a position to face that
decision--That said, I will never tell someone else that they cannot have an
abortion.

I believe in God--basically immovable on that point, but I won't force
someone else to believe in God, nor do I go around hitting others over the
head with the Bible, for many reasons I have probably already mentioned.

I don't believe in capital punishment, but if you left me in a room with
Paul Bernardo and I had a gun, only one of us would come out of that room alive.

I don't believe in guns but if some foreign invader came knocking on
Canada's door, I'd be in the armed services so fast it'd make your head
spin.  (don't go there--I tried to get in the services before--I'm
colourblind and they wouldn't take me)

So call it wishy washyness, I call it living in an age where things aren't
black and white.  I call it "calling it as I see 'em".  And when someone is
screaming at the top of his lungs that a country must be invaded to 'save us
all', I want concrete proof that war is the *only* way of achieving the
safety of us all--so far that hasn't happened, nor do I see it happening.  I
like to give peace a chance, thankyouverymuch.

So there you are.

Dave K